The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would like to ask, has anyone seen anything like this before? Here are the details:
1. It's been this way for 2 weeks.
2. No change in living conditions or feed.
3. She had a copper bolus a few days ago.
4. She's been wormed.
5. She's eating and acting normal.
6. No eye or nasal mucous, discharge, soreness, heat, sting marks, bite marks, tenderness, poke marks, scratches or blood. No evidence of injury.
7. It doesn't bother at all her when I touch, inspect & palpitate her nose. It's not sensitive or painful to the touch.
8. I've spoken to the local vet office, and they don't know much about goats, so weren't any help.
If anyone can shed light it would be greatly appreciated! I'm worried about her... this is not normal, and not going away...
Thank you!!
20200417_134412.jpg

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I really think it's an abcess. It's gonna be nasty when it comes to a head and bursts. She probably just stuck her nose somewhere it didn't belong and got a sliver or thorn. See if you can see any tiny puncture, maybe under the fur?

I've had it on one goat kid several years before, just flush it with iodine when it bursts. And for the love of all that is holy, do NOT put your face very close to inspect it and keep your mouth closed at ALL times <-- "Katey had a bad experience"

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I really think it's an abcess. It's gonna be nasty when it comes to a head and bursts. She probably just stuck her nose somewhere it didn't belong and got a sliver or thorn. See if you can see any tiny puncture, maybe under the fur?

I've had it on one goat kid several years before, just flush it with iodine when it bursts. And for the love of all that is holy, do NOT put your face very close to inspect it and keep your mouth closed at ALL times <-- "Katey had a bad experience"
Omg you made me laugh so hard! Just to give you back a funny.... mama and i this mornin were talkin bout the cream in jade's milk. And how i just might be able skim enough off to make butter. Fast forward late afternoon. My milk and egg lady came by and we were talkin and laughin. Mama comes out of my house havin a FIT. Sayin somethin about if you see me lickin my mouth like this... (proceeds to be VERY dramatic showin us)... this is why. Before my egg lady came i was makin udder cream. I had it in a bowl on the counter with the mixer still in it. Mama saw it and thought i was makin BUTTER! So she dipped a big ole glob and chucked it in her mouth! I thought Candida and i would pee our pants laughin at mama! It was SOOOOOO funny. I asked mama did you not smell how good my kitchen smelled? Nope she says. All i saw was that [email protected]#$ butter in the bowl. That sent us into another fit of roaring laughter.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
If it were a sting I think it would have gone down by now. I'm thinking abscess from a sliver. The puncture wound might have been so small you never could have seen it and it is probably closed over by now. I'm glad it's not sensitive.

Bear in mind that this is your golden opportunity to get ahead of the Christmas season. Paint that sucker red, put a pair of those reindeer antler headbands on that gal, and take some shots to use on your Christmas card!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Its been this way for a week? With swelling this large, you wouldnt be able to see a sting. If their is something in their, it needs to come out. I would try putting ice on it. See if some of the swelling goes away.
I would be looking up the sinus cavity, and in the upper side of the front plate
Look to see if anything is between the plate and lip. Check for any bruising or discoloration inside the mouth.
When you palpate the nose, do.you feel any nodules?
Have you taken her temp?
Usually swelling is something poked inside causing a problem, broken bone, torn muscle, infection, and or severe bruising..
Sometimes thorns cause swelling to cover their entrance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It couldn't be that the goat got some sort of infection in her nose, right? Are you able to get a picture from the other side of the nose as well?
Is the nose hot? Does the skin feel dry?
The nose is not hot, and it looks exactly the same on the other side. I am going to take a nasal swab into the diagnostic lab at WSU Veterinarian Lab so they can run some tests. Maybe that will reveal something!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its been this way for a week? With swelling this large, you wouldnt be able to see a sting. If their is something in their, it needs to come out. I would try putting ice on it. See if some of the swelling goes away.
I would be looking up the sinus cavity, and in the upper side of the front plate
Look to see if anything is between the plate and lip. Check for any bruising or discoloration inside the mouth.
When you palpate the nose, do.you feel any nodules?
Have you taken her temp?
Usually swelling is something poked inside causing a problem, broken bone, torn muscle, infection, and or severe bruising..
Sometimes thorns cause swelling to cover their entrance.
I've looked extensively up both sides of her nasal passage, and palpitated the whole area. I can't see anything up her nose at all. No redness soreness or tenderness or lumps anywhere except the end of her nose. Its been like that for 2 weeks. So weird!

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
It is an abscess, if it has been there for 2 weeks.

I would take her to a vet honestly.
Find one.

A vet is suppose to help, abscesses are the same as other animals would have and they should be able to look at it and stick a needle into it to see if they get pus out or fluid ect or take an xray if they have to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts