The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe had twins either last night or this morning...how do I know if they got enough colostrum? And how do I know if they are eating properly. I've only seen one of them nurse. I have some powdered colostrum...should I give that to make sure? Should I milk the mom some and try to bottle feed ??

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
You can get a 12cc syringe and feed it that way from Mom. Is she producing enough colostrum, as to why, you are wanting to buy colostrum? Give them 2 syringe fulls and do this every couple of hours unless the kids start nursing on their own.

Also, get the kids up to the teat and teach them to nurse. Open their mouth and put the teat in there, then, squirt a little in the mouth, let the kid go, tickle the tail head area. Repeat until you get a good response.

Are the kids strong and when you put your finger in the mouth, is the suck reflux there?

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
I would spend time with them and watch and see what they do. If they were born last night and by now hasn't had any colostrum, they should be near death. Even if they were born this morning and had no colostrum, they shouldn't be doing well at all.

Are they active? Can they walk ok? You could weigh them if you have a scale that weighs in pounds/ounces or pounds/tenths of pounds. Weigh them daily for a few days and see if they are gaining.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent the evening watching them and I did see both nurse for very short times and they have been active & alert so I think they are ok. I will just keep an eye on them :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts