The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
A few years ago, I bought all my CDT vaccines at a well known farm supply store. I had some Tetanus occur, as well as enterotoxemia.
I was baffled. I gave the CDT shots at all the correct intervals, etc. After checking around and lots of research and questions, asked about the practices of the store from a girl I knew that worked at the store.

What I found out was: When the trucks came in on Fri. they did not get unloaded until at least Monday. No problem, except, vaccines and penicillin need refrigerated. That was one of the hottest summers on record here.
All the vaccines I had purchased had been in that truck that 95*F weekend, and the ice packs in the coolers had warmed up. (Gel packs). (Nothing could be proven, no managers would confirm).

I guess what I am saying is, keep your vaccines refrigerated, buy from reputable places, and maybe it isn't your fault, but the handling of the medication by others that is causing your goats' illnesses.

I buy from Jeffers and PBS now.
Also no vaccine is 100%. No one knows how the vaccines are handled,
I am fully agreeing with you there and not saying that wasn't what happened with yours ;) but I know a lot of people look at vaccines like they will keep a animal from getting what your vaccinating against no matter what but it doesn't.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I just lost a kid to overeating and thought of you so I snapped some pictures. IT IS GUTS!!! Do NOT scroll down if it's going to bother anyone, but I wanted to share what I was talking about with the intestines
IMG_2435.jpg

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
This was actually my first known case of enterotoxemia. I had one I thought might have been but not for sure. Anyways it was a FAST death. I actually was just watching him play about 4 hours before that. I heard a sad cry and he kinda flopped a few times so I picked him up and just like that he was dead. At first i actually thought he broke his neck. But nope. Now that whole “the only signs is death” totally makes sense.
Anyways thank you guys, It sucks but I mainly just wanted to show what I was talking about

21 - 27 of 27 Posts