The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This year I had nothing but bucklings born... So I bought 5 replacement does. I bought them from a clean closed herd. They make cheese with the milk so they feed them milk replacer. The mothers got there CD/T and I gave the kids CD/T as well. The second day I had them I went out in the barn before bed AND everyone was good happy and healthy, then I went out in the am and one was dead. I was so upset but un sure why it was dead... it looked as if it laid down and bloated and died. Then I did a little research and I could find anything. I was scared it was something that was bad and was going to spread with my herd so I freaked out. Then a month later Same thing happened, but this time it was alive, not bloated but couldn't get up could walk! So I did a little research and found that it was enterotoxaemia... It took me two weeks before I could get her good again and back out to her goatie friends. Then two weeks later I had another doeling get enterotoxaemia. I had her back to her normal self in a week and out with her goat friends. A lot of time and medication and probio's and electrolytes.

They are healthy but I found that kids that are feed milk replacer are much more able to get Enterotoxaemia than those who are on milk, and even though you vaccinate they can still get it! I never new that.

So I wanted to now because these two had this will there growth be stun? right now they all where born March 6-9 2013 and they are 4 months old they all weigh 27-30lbs is that a good weight?

I stopped feeding milk replacer after the last one got sick. Now I have them on grass, second cut hay w/ timothy and alfalfa with 5 oz or whole grain ( it has while bits of corn, soybeans, oats and barley.) mixed it with Alfalfa pellets as well. ( just take a 50lb bag of whole grain mix w/ 50lb bag of alfalfa pellets and mix them together. So they each get 5 oz and 5 oz pm .

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
What breed are they?

Replaces can cause a lot of digestive issues. That's why I won't use them... I had a kid last year almost die from bloat in a replacer so I will never use them again. Im even weary of doe match and people say it works really well. I believe the problems come in with soy based replacers. They very well could be stunted but with proper care they should be just fine and catch up.... maybe not even be stunted

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
What volume of milk were you feeding them? I am one of those "I don't like milk replacer" folks. I have had good luck with just whole milk, add a little drop of Karo syrup.

I guess I prefer my grain mix to be "rolled", as opposed to "whole". I think the "ration" sounds fine. I know some people feed grain "free choice", but I don't. Make sure it's fed at regular times as much as possible. And, watch to see that they don't "bolt" it down. Put big rocks in the bowl if they eat too fast.

I think the weight sounds pretty good. What breed? They are a little bigger then my 3 month old kids. Do you have the cd/antitoxin now? I would be sure to have that on hand. I had a doe with bloat a few days ago, and I gave her olive oil and an otc anti gas...she was burping within a few minutes of that and lots of massage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What volume of milk were you feeding them? I am one of those "I don't like milk replacer" folks. I have had good luck with just whole milk, add a little drop of Karo syrup.

I guess I prefer my grain mix to be "rolled", as opposed to "whole". I think the "ration" sounds fine. I know some people feed grain "free choice", but I don't. Make sure it's fed at regular times as much as possible. And, watch to see that they don't "bolt" it down. Put big rocks in the bowl if they eat too fast.

I think the weight sounds pretty good. What breed? They are a little bigger then my 3 month old kids. Do you have the cd/antitoxin now? I would be sure to have that on hand. I had a doe with bloat a few days ago, and I gave her olive oil and an otc anti gas...she was burping within a few minutes of that and lots of massage.
When I bought them they where being feed what I thought was way to much for there size and there age. They where born March 6-9 2013 and I picked them up when they were a week old. He said that he was feeding them 20-24 oz am and pm! I thought that was way to much for there weight. I like to go based on there weight not there age. That way each and every animal gets there right amount of food and milk. So I started to feed them different they acted healthier too.

I know that they said to do a free ration with grain, but I don't agree there are some animals that don't now when to stop, they eat to much. I dislike the pelleted grains as well, I had more goats feel sick and a lot more with my ewes and lambs. So I have been feeding the alfalfa w/ whole bits of grain. I have raised cattle most of my life from a very young child till and still now and I have found that grain in less its a natural diet for the animal, so the more bits of whole grain you go with is so much better to the ruminates.

The breed of them is Oberhasli and Oberhasli/Alpine. I like to weigh all of my animals once a month and that is on the day that I trim there feet. So then I just keep record of it. Now my two Nigerian Dwarf buckling's that I sold April 2013, where born February 14,2013 the day they where sold I weighed them, they were 18lbs and they seemed like they grew better on the milk.

I hate replacers, but I didn't want to change there diet at the time and make there rumen upset. I would have feed cows milk with them, mixed with half and half with goat and cow and take cream from the cow and added it in. I have raised kids from my cow milk before and they where awesome, I have her tested every year with a 7.5, 8.1 % butter fat and 5.5,6.2 % protein she a great cow and her milk is so lovely.... but its from all the good care! I really am out for any best interest for my animals.

They don't eat there grain that fast at all. All of my goats are slow eaters. They get grain AM and PM, grass all day, water will molasses and apple cider vinegar, second cut hay with timothy and alfalfa they get free choice to that during the day, when they retreat from the fields because of the heat and eat at night when they are locked in.

I just hope they are not stund that's all.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
The milk doesn't actually go through the rumen. Kids are born with a milk tube that takes milk directly to the abomasum. If it went to the rumen it would spoil.

The stress of switching is more likely to.cause it or even the abomasum have a sudden change, causing diarrhea. If you do it slow there shouldn't be a problem

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Slippery Elm bark is supposed to be very good for transitions as well. I'm very sorry for your loss!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts