Entropion?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mariella, Jul 12, 2020.

1. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Yeah, I knew better than to go to the sale barn last night!!! I went to the sale barn to sell and I came back home with a baby that I thought only had pink eye. Well, it turns out he has Entropion it's a condition where their eyelids roll inside their eyes and it causes swelling, irritation, infection, and blindness if not treated. He will never see out of his right eye and if I can't get him in and treated soon he might lose his left eye too. But this fella is way too cute and sweet to hate! He makes me want Boers a little!
    We named him Redwood!
    In the second picture, you can see the eye before I cleaned it, notice both eyelids are rolled in? And in the last picture, you can see the eye after I cleaned it and rolled the upper eyelid out.

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Oh boy. How sad. I couldn’t imagine just tossing a baby out because of that. I understand not repeating the breeding, but he could have at least been fixed, raised up, and wethered.

I’m sure he is in good hands now! Good luck on him!

3. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Active Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    Poor baby. How did you clean it?

MadHouse likes this.
  4. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Warm water salted to taste like tears I put it a small spritzing bottle and spray in and around the eyes then I just wipe away the gunk with a paper towel. Saltwater doesn't hurt in their eyes so it works great for cleaning them out.

groovyoldlady and MadHouse like this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The vet fixes the turned in eyelids by pulling the lid away from the eye, injecting a small amount of penicillin into the eyelid. The swelling keeps they eyelashes away from the eye and by the time it heals, it should not be inverted anymore. Even as bad as those may be fixed.

Adding antibiotic ointment may clear up those eyes, too.

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I've used Pen G and and dropped it in the eye with an eye dropper after cleaning and rolling the lid out. 3x a day - usually after day 3 there was marked improvement.

groovyoldlady and MadHouse like this.
  7. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    Ahh poor little guy. We had our first last year thanks to road closure he had to wait to get in. But amazingly his eye site came back the vet wasn't so sure it would so this little guy might surprise you.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Poor little guy. Hope he fully recovers for you.

9. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I was intact with a 24/7 holistic vet today! He will talk to you for free as long as it isn't over an hour-long phone call and if you can give him the name of someone that has used his services before, it is kind of an odd rule but I get he doesn't want 100 people calling him on a Sunday.

So I talked to him about Redwood and he said it could be inflammation causing his eyelids to roll in! So He suggested I try giving him some anti-inflammatory herbs orally and see if it helps. And I'm happy to say it seems to be helping! His left eye you can see the entire upper eyelid and some of the lower! I really hope all it is swelling! If you are the praying type them please pray for him.

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Wow that's the most severe case of entropion I have ever seen. Poor little thing suffering needlessly like that. Keep rolling them, a dozen times a day, it will work! Look for those eyelashes that are rolled WAY under, that's what is really causing the damage.

It sounds like the herbs are working great. I also like a very warm soaked tea bag held over the eye as a compress for as long as you can manage. That helps reduce swelling a lot.

11. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I got an appointment at the vet's tomorrow, they are only going to look at his eyes and let me know what I need to do from there. They said they might just put some drugs in his eyes and that should help them roll back out but they need to see him first.

12. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    In severe cases they can also put a couple of stitches in the lower eyelid - some breeder I know use super glue, but it makes me nervous having that product so close to the eye.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad a vet is seeing the poor baby.
    Everyone has great advice.

14. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Well, we just got home from the vet! They said in a normal case of Entropion they would have put drugs in his eyes to help correct it but his are too bad and they need surgery :eek: They have him on Terramycin in both eyes twice a day for 2 weeks and they have me worming him and treating him for lice. After the 2 week treatment, he will go in for surgery! They also said both eyes should see again but not very well.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she is getting help.

Hoping for the best for her.

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Glad you got help. I know vet bills can be pretty high, maybe the vet can cut you a break and help you out? Your goatie will be a happy guy when this is all done. You are doing a good thing.

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Poor baby. He has such beautiful coloring. Good luck treating his eyes. Let us know how he progresses.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  18. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    The bill isn't going to be too bad because he already cut me a pretty good deal. He said normally they charged $250-$300 for the surgery but since the whole Covid19 thing is going on and the farmers around here would just shoot him and be over with it and he liked my little sweetheart he said they would do it for $125 at most. I am going to be calling around tomorrow to all the local Clinics and animal hospitals to see who does it and for how much, then I will look them up and see how they are rated. The place I took him to it rated pretty good with 4 stars. And I think I know one of the people that rated them a 1 star because they clipped her wolves' nails when she thought they shouldn't ever be clipped.

Anyway, I will try to get a picture of his eyes later to show you all how much better they look already! Not the eyelids but the ulcers in the eye.

19. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I can't stress enough how sweet Redwood is! He loved to be held and loved on and he comes when we call him! I'm in love with this sweet little thing!

I also wanted to add that on Saturday when I bought him he weighed 21.1 pounds and Tuesday when the vet weighed him he was 23.5 pounds. Can they gain that much in such a short amount of time or was the scale off at one of the places?

20. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes they can, 0.8 pounds per day is good gains. Keep it up. How old did the vet estimate? A few weeks?