Entropion?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mariella, Jul 12, 2020.

1. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    The vet thought he should be around 6-8 weeks old.
    I thought he was kinda young to wean so I tried to give him a bottle and he acted like he wanted it but didn't know how to nurse anymore so I assume he's been weaned for a while.

2. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Here are the pictures I promised! The first picture is his left eye on day 1 the second picture is his left eye today. The third picture is his right eye day 1 and the fourth picture is from today.

Attached Files:

3. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I guess this brings me to the questions would you breed him? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him yet but we want to breed him. Is this genetic? If I breed him to a LaMancha doe would the babies have it too? What are the chances he passes it on to his babies with a boer doe?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Definite improvement on his eyes!

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I wish I knew about this eye thing about 3 years ago. I had a doe who had a really bad eye. I had multiple vets out and they gave me ointment and stuff, but we ended up taping the eye up because she went blind. Kinda upsets me know that I know I could have helped her. :( she lives a few miles down the road at a little retirement center. I still get to see her and stuff, and she is doing fine, but it sucks that no one knew how to help :(

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Congenital entropion is suspected to be a heritable trait, and affected animals should not be used for breeding purposes. The genetic factors resulting in congenital entropion are unknown, but the trait is believed to be multifactorial and caused by more than a simple, autosomal recessive inheritance.
    So the question is if this was congenital or if it was neglect?

7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I would not use him for breeding. IMO, he should be wethered.

There are just too many nice bucks out there. It is believed to be genetic. There could be rare cases where it develops after an injury, but there is no way of knowing. I wouldn’t take the risk and possibly perpetuate the gene.

8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @mariella - I thought I saw very tiny horns in the first photo? Definitely didn't look weaning age. How well does he eat hay and grain? If he seemed interested in the bottle I would probably try several times a day and see if you can get him on it. Make sure it's very warm, 100* F and cover his head with your armpit or a dish towel, if he was dam raised this may be more like a dam. Entropion is definitely genetic.

@Nigerian dwarf goat - an adult doe or newborn? Entropion is present at birth, does not occur later in life. May not have been the same issue.

@Tanya - both congenital and neglect. It occurs in some kids at birth but is treatable.

Iluvlilly! and CountyLineAcres like this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    She had gotten it at about 8 years old. We did antibiotics, cremes, sprays, vetricin, Terramycin. It was bad. It wasn't pink eye, because nobody else got it. The new home got her eye taken out, though. She is fine now, but I still feel bad for her. she is like 13 years old now, and still going strong!

Moers kiko boars and SalteyLove like this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Looks a lot better.

Very good advice by all.

11. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I'm going to do a lot more research on Entropion and see if I can find anyone proving that it is a genetic treat. For now we plan on breeding him next year to one doe and we will pay for them to have the surgery if need be and just butchering the babies. We have been thinking about starting a small herd of meat goats for our family to have goat meat. We are looking at getting a really nice LaMancha/Saanen/Boer doeling to breed him to so the babies are less likely to inherit it, she would also make a nice addition to out dairy herd if the babies come out with Entropion and we have to butcher Redwood.

Moers kiko boars and ksalvagno like this.
  12. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I'm excited to say that Redwood's right upper eyelid at folded back out! Both lower eyelids are still folded in but at least the upper eyelids don't need surgery.

13. ksalvagno

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good to hear, however, entropion is inherited and I would not use him as a breeder. :(

15. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Tomorrow is the day! Redwood will be going in to have his eyelids corrected!

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I pray it all goes well.

17. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Well, I'm not thrilled with the outcome but I did go with the cheapest vet and he said it should work. His right eyelid is still rolled in a bit but it's better (Not so far rolled in that it takes me forever to roll it back out) his left eyelid looks pretty good. He weighed 27 pounds on Friday.
    He is walking around squinting so I've started putting some salve on the stitches to help soften them.
    In the pictures you can see his horns, how old would you say he is? He still won't take the bottle and he isn't gaining much weight anymore. The vet I took him to first said to give him Ivermectin so I did and he started scouring and didn't stop for almost a week so I think that's what made his stop gaining weight?

Attached Files:

18. ksalvagno

Poor little guy.

19. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Looks like still a lot of swelling but I can't see the lower lashes?

Would he let you hold a cold compress for ten minutes a day to soothe and bring down swelling?

I'm leaning towards like 6 weeks based on his horns. Have you tried offering milk in a bucket? Is he on free choice grower pellet?

I've never heard of Ivermectin causing scouring. Maybe he had a bout with coccidia? Has he had any coccidia treatment?

20. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

He looks about 6 to 8 weeks to me