Epinephrine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Aug 21, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    What happens to a goat if you give them an epinephrine shot (to counteract Anaphylactic shock) . . . but it turns out that they don't really need it? Is it detrimental to the goat?

I'm just worried that if I recognize symptoms I think are the beginning of shock and I give them a shot of epinephrine that it will hurt them if it's not the right treatment they need. :shrug:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It would not be good for the goat at all. Believe me, you can't miss an anaphylactic reaction.

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I heard it happens really fast though and once you see the signs it's too late :sigh:

Sometimes after I give a shot the goat will act a bit more painful than usual or they will look a little glazed over in the eyes and I wonder if it's the start of shock . . . but then they turn out alright. :shrug: So if I gave them epi when I saw them acting a bit off, but turns out they didn't need it . . . that would be a big problem?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Signs of reaction: Swollen eye lids, swollen ears, fluid in lungs, diarrhea, screaming(it's not like a pain scream, it's a totally different scream you will never forget once you hear it.) Once you see sign's it is not too late. I KNOW from experience that I wish I didn't have.

Giving epi went it's not needed can hurt them.

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    :shocked: oh gosh! sounds like there really is no mistake! does it really happen in seconds after giving the shot? :worried:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, it does happen within seconds.