Equipment, what is the best? and other questions.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    What kind of tattoo set should I buy for my alpine goats? And what size? It seems like there are a few different styles and sizes, and I'm at a loss for what to get!

Also, are hand trimmers useful at all? I have access to a manual wooden one that has a similar head to the electric buzz clippers. I was just curious if I could actually use it for maybe the udders when milking. I'm not expecting beautiful show results from it, just wanted to know if they would be handy, or if I should even waste the money. Maybe I will just buy some cheap dog clippers.... This thing was only $7, that's why I asked.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont know what you are talking abotu with wooden clippers/trimmers

I have the Stone small animal tattoo

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah i have the jeffers 5/6 tatoo set, works great. :) use green ink on dark ears though.
    and i use andis ag2 two speed clippers i believe... they work great.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have the Jeffer's small animal tattoo set...it works and was inexpensive...and replacement letters are inexpensive as well.

I am having trouble visualizing your trimmers but you might as well try it as long as there is no danger of cutting the goat's skin. If it doesn't work you might as well just get some cheap human hair trimmers...they work fine for udder clips. I have the oster a5 turbo clippers and also a set of Andis 2 speed clippers...but that's only because I used to be a pet groomer. I wouldn't spend that kind of money now for the amount of triming I do (mainly just udder and under belly areas).