ER: Old Goat Frothing at the Mouth (update RIP Oldmangoat)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Allipoe, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    So the Oldmangoat I am taking care of was fine yesterday. Eating his food, happy as can be. This morning when I went out to take care of everyone again he wouldn't come out of his hut, and seemed to be frothing at the nose and mouth. Hes also making grunting noises. I thought maybe bloat, but hes not distended or looking swollen in the rumen area. I have to get some help to get a temperature on him, as hes a good 250 pounds or more and I am not strong enough to keep him still on my own. Hes not a happy guy. THoughts??? And by old, I mean over 14.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: ER: Old Goat Frothing at the Mouth

first....check to see if... he has any food stuck....in his mouth...throat.area.... be careful of his back teeth very sharp and can take off a finger.... feel along the neck and see if.... you feel anything ab normal ...a lump of food stuck there...

3. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

Checked, nothing there. >.< Hes laid down now, and his eyes still seem bright and alert. I just can't figure this out. Thanks for the quick reply Toth Boer. Soon as I hear back from his owners I may be calling the vet, but I am hoping to avoid that if I can (as they are kinda expecting him to die anyhow. >.< These are the same people who hadn't done his feet since they bought him. )

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It does sound as though he may have choked...I've had that foam when I had a little goat that choked on a hay pellet. I whacked her sides hard to get her to cough up the obstruction and she went straight to the water bucket to help clear the rest. If your old man will drink, maybe even try a bit of maolasses in warm water and see if he can drink without choking.

5. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

He has been drinking, quite a bit. And there doesn't seem to be any choking with it. He keeps kinda hacking, and my goat-partner (who has been dealing with my frantic IMing) says she thinks it sounds like choke too. And that with his age its not a good thing (due to aspiration and pneumonia, which we know he wouldn't survive...hes in bad shape). The owners STILL haven't called me back, so I can't call the vet yet. I am just a big bundle of stress. >.<

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Wipe his face, keep him dry and comfortable and keep him eating and drinking, get him up to walk too...you are right about aspiration pneumonia, if you have to treat him without a vet's help, I would start him on an antibiotic, I myself have never used anything other than Pen G but others use LA 200 for respiratory.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome... :thumb:
    The blockage needs to be... unlodged quickly ....I to ...worry about aspiration....He may have it stuck farther down....so that you can't see or feel it...... I recommend a vet... if you are not sure ...on what to do...... :hug:

8. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

Well, just as an update:

The owners STILL haven't called me back. >.< I have been going out and checking on him about every half an hour. So far he seems more comfortable, particularly since I took him some nice warm water to drink. He grumbled at me, which I took as a good sign..heh. The babies are keeping him company and trying to help him stay warm (hes our nanny-goat..hehe, get it?) and while hes still not interested in food, at least hes looking less "OWWWWWW" and miserable.

I am hoping he has managed to swallow or hack up whatever was stuck, and that nothing got in his lungs. Hopefully he will start munching some hay to keep warm, as hes shivering still, and doesn't have a lot of meat on his old bones.

I will keep checking on him...and will offer him some food this evening again. Thanks to everyone for your responses and help so far! I will keep you all posted!! And get a picture of him too, so you see what I am talking about.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:hug:

10. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

Heres the Oldmangoat with his babies Margarita (the Chamoisee) and Honeynut (the cream and black)
    [​IMG]

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

What you can do to get him to eat would be to make a wet warm mash out of his grain ration, I also add a bit of oatmeal and oil to add calories...I use corn oil but regular veggie oil will work too. I add about 2 Tablespoons to 1 1/2 cups of wet grain. See if he's enticed by this, it will also help to warm him up. He's a handsome boy and looks like his bed buddies will also help keep him warm.

12. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

That picture doesn't do justice to his condition. Poor thing. Or his feet. I do give him mash, or did. But he didn't like it. He would absolutely refuse to eat it!! Only if it were dry would he touch it after the first day. Hes a cantankerous old thing at times. I figure I am trying to keep him as comfortable as I can...but sometimes he makes it hard, heh.

(( as an aside, when do my posts stop having to be "approved"? I thought it was at ten, but I am over 20 now...so must be more than that? ))

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I believe that approvals stop after 25 posts, this is a "safety" feature for all members on the board til we get to know you better.

You also get PM priviledges as well after 25 posts :)

Since your guy is not likeing the warm wet feed, he may be one of those that are going to be stubborn about the help he needs. Try some leafy hay, alfalfa leaves may be more enticing to him.

14. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

(( 25, got it. Awesome. :) ))

I will see if I can get my hands on some. We (my goat-partner and I) were considering trying some Alfalfa Cubes (moistened) for him too, to see if that would make him eat/gain weight. He is a stubborn old thing, and puts the Stubborn in "Stubborn Old Goat"!!

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I started to get sacks of hay pellets made by Standlee from Tractor Supply, I feed alfalfa hay and got the timothy pellets to add as a different treat, I also make these wet with hot water...every one of my goats love them. Alfalfa pellets are about the same price as the cubes and are easier to feed, with my mini's I did need to break up the cubes into small pieces because they were just too big for them to eat.

Alfalfa will add weight or help maintain the current weight with hard keepers, maybe it will help your old guy too.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

What about offering him like a treat, cracker, animal crackers, or raisens? See if he will eat anything.

He looks so happy in that picture, he is very proud of his buddies.

God bless you for being his angle, sounds like the owner just wants him to go. :hug: How can you not just want to kiss that face?

17. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

I had to run out to do the Santa thing with the kiddos (the human ones) and so had to leave the house. It was freaking me out. Hes asleep right now, and we will see how he is in the morning. If he comes outside I will get a picture for you guys of his true condition and his feet. UGH, his feet. I will look into getting some of those alfalfa pellets/cubes. See if he will eat those. The stubborn ol' bugger.

Oh. And the owners have STILL not called me back. :angry:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Do the owners live far away....if not.. I'd go to there house and confront them....

Have you tried emailing them? :hug:

19. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD

So update. Sorry its taken me so long. >.<

I got up this morning to see how Oldmangoat was doing. He seemed slightly better, standing, looking around, although still not wanting to eat. My goat-partner showed up about an hour later and I went to show her how he was acting...

...and he was down. Head cranked to the side, groaning and borderline screaming in pain. So I got MAD. The owners STILL hadn't called me back. (they live next door, but are never home, and even when they are they don't answer their door. I know I am strange, but they take the cake!!!!!)

I left messages on both of their cellphones, and finally called their work and bugged the receptionist until she promised she would PHYSICALLY track them down and give them the message and that it was an emergency. I had called the vet by that point, since Megan (goat partner) and I both were of the agreement that it was holycrap necessary. Problem was, that if he needed put down (as we suspected he did) the vet legally could not do it without consent from the owner. So I was VERY pushy.

Finally got through to them, after an hour or so. And got consent. Also told them to keep the cell close, since the vet would have to confirm the consent with them. Sure enough, vet took a look, winced...and nodded. Yeah. Oldmangoat had listeriosis (which he was not showing signs of before!!!!) and had progressed rapidly. At his age and frailty it was unlikely that antibiotics would help, and the owners were not willing to pay for him to go to the clinic, particularly as it wasn't a very good prognosis anyhow.

So got the go ahead from the owners to put the poor old man to sleep, which was awful since his veins were awful and it took a good half an hour to finally do the deed. Luckily I have some vet tech training, so was able to assist. Stubborn to the end, that old goat.

Anyhow. Thanks everyone for your concerns and responses. I wish things had turned out better. And of course the first reaction by my partner and I was panic. Listeriowhat?? In with our BABIES?! Apparently it happens quite often around our area, and just...happens. Like if the animals immune system was low to begin with then it was just worse. So we moved the babies into another pen, and we will let that one sit "fallow" for a while. There isn't anything gross in there...as Listeria likes the rotting stuff, and apparently the Oldmangoats owners OTHER goat died of it a few years back. So he may have even caught it in his other pen (across the farm), and the cold snap just brought his immunities down and it really took hold.

Poor, poor old man. Ah well. At least he had friends for the end of his life. >.<

Dangit. :sigh:

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: ER: Old Goat Frothing at the Mouth (update RIP Oldmangoa

I am so very sorry :hug: I am so glad though that this old guy had you there with him, I'm sure it helped him when he crossed to have a friend near. :hug: