ESCAPE!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Apr 29, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    We had our second escape, in two years with our boys.... ugh! It was grain time, and as the gate opened one of them slipped out. He didn’t run until we tried to grab him and push him back inside - so we got a handful of grain and low and behold he followed it right back inside like nothing ever happened.

Escapes are so stressful - especially for someone like me who does not have a huge farm, he could have easily wandered into a neighbor’s yard or eventually into the street. So grateful his brother was still in the enclosure - so he would not have gone too far and leave him.

The scariness of that is crazy, who else has some escape stories to share that will help me feel better?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Awwww I'm so sorry it was very stressful for you. There is really no reason to worry. Goats are not "bolters" like some dogs. Especially if they are not with their herd-mates. They may rush a gate, but then as soon as they get out its all about finding food! Many folks with pets in smaller yards let them out to free range and shake a grain scoop when it's time to head back to the pen.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes, the only time they run is if chased. Have to head for the grain immediately to lure back in at the get-go.

4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Destiny is currently my only goat. We have a breed pair of Emus who wonder my small holding. They dont like anything smaller than their knee hight so they do chase. About a week ago Destiny got adventurous and approached Piet and Pat. Firstly my Emus looked like they were doing a traditional Aboriginal dance, secondly Destiny looked like she was running the worlds fastest 100 m dash ever. It was really funny to watch. Needless to say she doesnt venture away from my house any more.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My story is the great donkey escape.
    We rescue donkeys. We had 8 or nine at this time. Someone didn't latch the pasture gate! We live off a farm to market road that is well traveled, especially semi trucks hauling hay and such.
    I hear what sounded like thunder..then I hear "Moooooom" as I look out my front window and see all these donkeys running down the road and my son right behind them.......everyone was in a panic. I run out ready to get in my truck when they all stopped turned around and headed back on their own lol. They just wanted to kick up their heals a bit lol

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  6. rockycreek

rockycreek New Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Most of my escape stories result in unplanned and undesirable pregnancy.....
    lol

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ohhh goodness. I have one rom when my 2 oldest were doing 4-H wethers.

We had to go to illinois because my husbands dad died, so we hired a sitter for all the animals. We would be there for about 2 weeks. One day, farm sitter called, and said she couldnt find the wethers. She had forgotten to close the gate, and they were gone. So, we left Illinois early, and called the Police, put up fliers, and called the animal shelter, saying if yall found 2 wethers, they were ours. We looked up the road, in the country club a few miles from us, and searched highway 290. (our road is right off of the highway)
    We couldnt find them!

So, fast forward a few days, and we got a call. ''Hey, 2 wethers showed up at our house, and we saw your fliers, so we gave you a call." OMG! We found them!! They were at a house at the country club. When we pulled in, their house looked VERY similar to ours! LOL! I can imagine the goats thinking " Hey look! Were home! Were home!" got them to their REAL home LOL safe and sound.

Thankfully it ended well, but its a fun story to tell LOL!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Even if you don't grain on a regular basis, rattle a bin, bucket etc. and give treats. Then if you want them to come in, make that noise and watch them run to you!
    Mime love root beer barrels, so all I have to do is crinkle the wrapper in the woods and they come running! (Of course, I better have a bunch unwrapped and ready to offer!)

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    We don’t feed grain on a regular basis but yes ours understand the rattle of treats! :):)

11. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Back when I was still in the agonies of early goat-keeping, I had two goats that would get out fairly often. A lot of mornings would start with a phone call from some family member, "your goats are following me down the road."
    Other times, they'd come to my yard and wait for me to catch them. As soon as I stepped out the door, they'd stop munching grass and head directly for my lilac bush. It was a little game for them. How much lilac bush can we eat before she catches us?
    Maybe the regular 'pruning' did that bush some good. It's been blooming beautifully.

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    That is such a great story!

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is what I love about livestock. Shake the feed bucket and they come running.

14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

When we planned on getting animals we vowed to do the right thing and build Fort Knox pens, not do the thrown together fencing we saw at other people’s places.
    But... then you watch them and think, oh, this is kind of small for them. Let’s “Just” make this bigger with chicken wire... just like the other people did!
    In my first year of chickens the hens escaped regularly over the (chicken wire) fence into the bush. When they are young they can be great flyers. First they would come back when I rattled the seed bucket, then the wilds were way more interesting.
    I gave up trying to coral them back, and they went deeper and deeper into the bush each day, coming back when it pleased them.
    But that freedom came to an end when I looked out the window one day and saw my hens coming down the neighbour’s driveway towards home. They had crossed the road, I had no idea!
    The neighbour told me later he was on the phone with his mom, who was going to bring the dog over, when he saw the chickens through his window. He told her to bring a leash for the dog.
    After that the hens had to be jailed inside the (not THAT small) goat area, back to Fort Knox.

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    How scary, so glad you were able to get him back in before he got himself into trouble. We've been lucky so far (knock on wood), we haven't had a lot of issues with escape - especially while we aren't home to catch them.
    Many years ago we had a Boer buck that would climb the fence, it was crazy - I had to make his pen like Fort Knox - it was 8 foot tall lol. Our goats and neighbors goats used to fight through the fence and put holes, then one would either end up in their pen or ours, and would throw a fit to get back over. They have put in an electric fence so that seems to have stopped that issue. One time we had someone here looking at a buck kid and I hear the most awful screaming in the world - one of the does got over there, and I had to excuse myself to go rescue her, it was so embarrassing lol.

About a week and a half or so ago my daughter and I walked out to feed in the morning. I went into the front of the barn to start getting feed, and my daughter says 'Mom, the bucks are out!" I was like.... what?! As soon as I turned around both the yearling bucks came up to the front of the barn, I was thinking, great now the hoodlums are really on the loose.
    My son's buck took one look at me and ran over and stuck his head in the tub that I keep feed in inside the barn, so I couldn't even get the feed out of it - stinker. So I got his head out, closed the lid and had him follow the bucket as I carried it to their pen. Silly boys, they just wanted breakfast :)
    I thought maybe someone didn't lock the gate the previous night? I came back a little while later to give them the rest of their feed and the gate was unlatched again!
    I immediately blamed my son's buck because he is the troublemaker, but amazingly I caught his brother in the act the next day lol! I did put a chain on the gate to prevent them from opening it. Silly, silly boys.

16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    When I decided to get into goats. We bought a 3 month old buck..then 4 doelings,..then another buck..and some really cute doelings...awww they were small so we had time to build better fences...right???? WRONG! The land had barbed wire, so I put square field fence up all around. So now 10 acres wide open. We built a small pen with a nice goat house. All we locked up for the night. Got up the next morning...no goats....talk about panic. I go walking and calling..no sounds. I go get hubby..he starts off one way..i go the other. We meet in the back...no goats. Im in panic mode now. We walk back up...and all the goats are in our back yard. Looking at us like...where ya been? Wheres breakfast? So we take them to their pen & feed them. The gate is locked. The cattle pannels are still locked in.place..no way out...right? 2 days later..we finally figure out whats going on. The little 3 month old agile fleet feet..can jump in the feeder, onto the wooden spool, onto the goat house roof..and jump over the back fence...Tadum! The paddock was enlarged. The 2 bucks got their own 2 acre pad. And the does got the original pen and were running into 3 seperate areas. So glad they didnt wander too far. But I learned to always have iced oatmeal cookies. They come running when I yell who wants cookies! No.more panic!

17. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I have had a lot of escapes but they can’t bother anything. I don’t let them out of their pens when they have kids though because the coyotes can snag them. Anyways goats are chickens and I have learned that a car honking scares them and they run home. This is how I gather them up if they do escape with the kids.

18. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

This morning Destiny did a Houdini out of her holding pen. She somehow dug a hole under her fence that is big enough for her to crawl under. . So I now have a goat that loves to dig. The Emu's were chasing her this morning and she was "laughing" at them as she ran away.

19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Someone else's escape stories are great, as long as it's a happy ending! (clap)