Escapees! and a moose *more Moose pics*

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 10, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so, went out to feed this morning and two 11 month olds Chevelle and Javelin had managed to get out..cute stuff, luckily theyre easy to bring in. :)

first sighting:
    [​IMG]

still hadn't seen me
    [​IMG]

She spotted us! :shocked:
    [​IMG]

run!!
    [​IMG]

time to go back inside
    [​IMG]

Back inside (javelin)
    [​IMG]

While feeding I noticed a yearling moose behind me...hmmm.. photo op!
    [​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Escapees! and a moose -pic overload

i have more pics of the moose if interested ;)

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Yes do it! Man your girls are big for 11mo. But maybe its partially their nice winter goats? oops, coats.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

How cute!! I love the commentary! LOL I would love to see more pics of the moose. Funny I went to WY, ID and MT..... determined to see a moose in person.... never got to see one! I think they are really neat.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

I thought they were a bit on the small side
    and moose pictures will be up shortly. :)

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Katrina...those "Escapee" pics are wonderful! And I agree with nancy d....they are nice chunky "babies"....the moose pic is awesome!

7. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010

I loved your story about the boys escaping,

But I love moose, that is so cool! :leap: :leap:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

more of Alces Alces (Moose)
    a bit blurry, had to zoom in, from our deck, not going out there with the calf that'd be suicide. lol :wink: very protective moms.

The Calf
    [​IMG]

The Cow
    [​IMG]

The Calf, I think it's a cow calf, didn't see any buds
    [​IMG]

They browsed in the backyard for about and hour while it snowed, then moved on :) nothing is more impressive then a mature bull moose with a 50" + rack. :shocked:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

All are very neat pics.... love your goats ...they are looking really nice ...and it is so funny... the way they reacted.... :ROFL:

As for the mooses ...glad you stayed in the safe zone..... :shocked:

10. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA

vary cool pics!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Really nice pics!

Are moose the same as a whitetailed deer as far as antler growth? Bucks/Bulls have them and the cows/does don't?

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

yes, cows dont grow any horns, bulls have massive horns, large humps and long beards.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow Katrina...love your pics and your girls are so cute!

So enjoyed seeing the pics of the moose....When visiting my daughter out in Washington, we went to a great animal preserve that had moose, they are the most impressive animals to see up close and in person, I just can't imagine seeing one on my own property......heck I still get excited when a herd of deer come across ours!

Thanks so much for sharing!

14. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Great pics - I love the way that their ears were flapping when they were running - my girls their ears stay kinda solid when they run.
    :)

15. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your fun story (with pictoral aids) and the moose pics are awesome :D

16. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Got on your photo site today at lunch. I'm so impressed with your photography! I had to pull myself away from the pictures to go back to work! You had some really cute kids this year! And I'm jealous because you’ve got more snow than us! As for the moose...awesome shots! I have a long drive to work and I've seen so many hit this year. I think it might have something to do with the warm winter bringing them down out of the hills. The moose you had in the yard looked really nice and dark.

17. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Great photographs... living in nature is so wonderful.... moose are funny creatures ... when I lived in Maine I had one on my driveway and he was not going to move until he was ready .... I was late but enjoyed his company for 30 min.

18. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Great photographs! I love the photos of the moose. I've only seen one once, from a canoe in Canada. They are unbelievably huge -- you can't really appreciate their size and mass until you see one in person. I'm jealous of you living in Alaska among all the beautiful wildlife! I spent some time there one September, from Kenai to Wasilla to Denali... and I'm pretty sure Alaskans live in the most beautiful, most wild place in all of America :)

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I love the "Oh no we are caught" picture.

WOW I do not know what I would do if I saw a Moose in my back yard. (Of course they are not around here). They are so beautiful. All we get is deer and when the dogs see them they take off running.

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Thanks! I really enjoy photography ;) especially of goats

and every time we go on vacation, I'm always looking for deer because I've only seen one wild one! lol. lots of dead ones on the road (you'd think they'd pick them up!) here there's a moose list- when a moose gets hit, and these things are huge, they call people to come butcher it so they can use the meat.