Essential goat first aid kit

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MontanaBoers, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MontanaBoers

MontanaBoers Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Slovenia, Europe
    Today I had a very bad experience while trying to find Ammonium Chloride for my boer goat. Fortunately I saw him pee today, so everything is fine, but I was very worried for 2 days. Finally I decided to order the AC 2.5lbs package from Amazon, they ship also to Slovenia, so I am happy to have that in my hands shorty.

I called 5 nearby veterinary clinics, none had any idea what I am talking about... I called also all pharmacies, even 3 in the main city country, none had any idea neither. I called the only pet hospital in the area of 500km, neither, they were actually very rude.... And finally I got a nice lady helping me on the phone of the Zootechnical Faculty. She know what I need AC for any why is urgent, but honestly said I will have a very hard time getting this in my county.

One veterinary in the main city honestly told me that our veterinarians don`t treat the same these farm animals (goats, sheep, cows, pigs,..) like cats or dogs. They just say oh your goat is sick, we will put it asleep, buy another one.... :mad: I love my goats like family members, I don`t have them just for profit.

So and this brings me here asking all of you, what medicines do you have at home for your goats to help them right away just in case??

I just ordered AC, I have iodine and another medicine for diarrhea.

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Do you have fruit fresh? It is a powder that we have in our grocery stores to keep fruit from browning.

capracreek likes this.

3. MontanaBoers

MontanaBoers Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Slovenia, Europe
    Hm, not that I know, at least not under that name.. but I can ask in stores or in the worst case order online. Why is this useful in goats?

capracreek likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

It can be used instead of AC in a pinch. Thought you needed something right now.

5. MontanaBoers

MontanaBoers Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Slovenia, Europe
    Aha understand, thanks

6. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Ammonium chloride is also known as Sal Ammoniac and is used in soldering. Have you tried EBay?

capracreek likes this.
  7. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    We just got through an ordeal with bee stings and on the top of my list are three things.

Diphenhydramine, Ice Paks, plus a 5% boric acid and lanolin emolient.

capracreek likes this.
  8. jschies

jschies Active Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Medicines that I would never be without are: injectable iron, B complex,and dewormers.

capracreek likes this.
  9. MontanaBoers

MontanaBoers Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Slovenia, Europe
    I just got in on Amazon, but yes probably Ebay would have it too.

10. MontanaBoers

MontanaBoers Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Slovenia, Europe
    Diphenhydramine is Benadryl right? Exist maybe in liquid form or just pills?

What is lanolin emolient used for?

11. MontanaBoers

MontanaBoers Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Slovenia, Europe
    Injectable iron is for anemia? How do you know how to inject it? I already use a mix or vitamins/minerals that has iron in it too.

capracreek likes this.
  12. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes, it's the generic equivalent of Benadryl. We bought a cherry flavored liquid which she refused so we had to dissolve tablets in water and she drank it willingly with ice cubes but we also had to inject with a 40cc syringe in her mouth to swallow.

The emollient was used for the atrophy of her ears that the venom caused.

capracreek likes this.
  13. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Probiotics
    Activated charcoal
    Milk of magnesia
    B complex
    Copper bolus (I know, not a med - but it really does wonders for parasites)
    BoSe (I have selenium/e gel for general use, but BoSe for emergencies like retained placenta)
    Ammonium chloride

Honsby likes this.
  14. 15WildTurkey

15WildTurkey New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    I'm new here and new to goatsbut having some charcoal gel and electrolyte powder on hand saved my little girls life last week. The little monkey got into rhododendrons. Dehydrated and barfing all night. I got the charcoal into her and drenched her with "goaterade" all day until she turned the corner. All the offending rhododendron is gone.
    But I'll never be without UAA gel

capracreek and Suzanne_Tyler like this.
  15. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    WOW so glad to hear you little goat pulled through.
    Better to order things and have on hand - be prepared for sure. Hope you can find the things you need.