The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recent discussions in the forums here, I wanted to look up more information and I found a couple of good resources so I figured I'd share them even if it's likely they've been shared before.

Know when to give up:
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/liveorletdie...k.html

On Farm Euthanasia:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/animalcare/facts/info_euthanasia_shgt.htm

Both talk about making the decisions to end a life and the second one gives good options for how to make that happen. No vivid pictures on either for those that are more sensitive.

I like this statement from the Tennesee Meat Goats - " If you are paying attention, a goat that is ready to die will tell you it is it is time to go. There are worse things than death in a goat's world."

Of course, if you have a problem aggressive goat, it's not going to tell you anything like that. I've had to put dogs down and I must not be great at communicating with animals, I have no clue. Though, as explained in TMG, sometimes you have to put down a well animal before they say so because it's what's right. It's hard being in charge of the lives of others.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good links, AmyBoogie--I'm still figuring out what to do for my goats when their times come. I guess I can make all the plans in the world, but the situations that occur will be the deciding factors.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
It's hard being in charge of the lives of others.
It IS hard. And this is something I've been giving a lot of thought to lately - even before the recent discussion here. I think the hardest part of owning livestock is the weight of being responsible for their lives - and their death.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
this is a difficult subject...but each needs to have some kind of plan in place..I have had my vet put down my animals when it was needed..but the time will come when that will not be an option..such as in a emergency situation..this link also offers methods of humane euthanasia... key word here is humane..there will be a time we each have to make this choice and a vet may not be available ...knowing whats humane and what is not an acceptable humane method ahead of time is our responsability
http://goat-link.com/content/view/132/139/#.UgurBmSDQxc

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thanks for the links. As difficult as it is to ponder, I'd rather be prepared so I don't have to scramble when I am already upset and in need. Another thing to think about is how you will dispose of the body/carcass afterwards. I know different areas have different rules on how to legally do this.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disposal is a whole other subject for sure. Local rules and then the reason the animal was put down. I don't know if you want an animal with CL or Johnes buried on farm land. I can't imagine burning would be pleasant either. I know there are some disposal facilities and I read ideas in one of the articles. I suppose we'd all have too call around to see what our own local costs are.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My local waste facility takes livestock carcasses as long as you give them prior notice. There used to be a fee, maybe 5-15 dollars, but they are now taking them for free to encourage ranchers to bring them in and reduce wolf predation.

·
2,203 Posts
You can have a goat creamated for between $35-50 and spread the ashes wherever. I'd prefer to bring the ashes home than bury a body, or dumping a body in the woods like some do.

·
2,203 Posts
Where do you have that done? At the vet?
You can, yes or they'd be able to suggest you to a pet crematorium. We have several within an hour of us. They price by weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts