The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot about minerals, and one recent post said that zinc deficiency is the new copper deficiency. It all seems very overwhelming. I have a doe who has never shown signs of copper deficiency (although my other doe did), but this spring her black coat is starting to rust and the bridge of her nose is balding. Her coat on her back legs is rough-looking, but she doesn't have the bald tip on the tail so no obvious "fish tail." I'm wondering if there's any danger in me giving her a 2 gram bolus (she's a Nigerian) -- Or is the fish tail always present? I'm concerned about giving her copper if it's not an extremely obvious deficiency.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
For me . Copper deficiency is rough coat, black goat turning rust colored. 2grams per 25lbs up to 50 lbs. For ruminating kid goats over 5 weeks. Dont take them out of casing.
4 grams is for 50lbs to 300 lbs.
I put mine inside a cookie. Cookie is made up of 1 Tbs of peanut butter, 1 tsp molasses,, 1 Tbs oatmeal. Mix together it will be gooey. Makes about 5 balls. Press your thumb into them. Place copper bolus in imprint. Then close around bolus. Roll in more oats so you can handle them easier. All my girls enhailed them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Her coat isn't that rough except around the tail, so my biggest concern is whether it will hurt her if I dose her and she doesn't *really* need it. Is the black coat turning to rust always the biggest sign of deficiency?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Copper toxicity is possible but it's hard to do with goats. There is one breed that is susceptible to it but I can't remember which. Maybe Spanish? If your only source of copper is the bolus and loose minerals then you would be fine to bolus her. I bolus twice a year and have loose cattle mineral available at all times. I also do replamin gel weekly.

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
Unless there is a new study I have missed ( and if so I would love a link to stay up to date in my info) Copper should be dosed at 1 gram per 22 pounds. 2 gram capsule is for 44 pounds and 4 gram treats 88 pounds. The dose the package gives is wrong.
We need to dose proper to see best and long lasting results

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Unless there is a new study I have missed ( and if so I would love a link to stay up to date in my info) Copper should be dosed at 1 gram per 22 pounds. 2 gram capsule is for 44 pounds and 4 gram treats 88 pounds. The dose the package gives is wrong.
We need to dose proper to see best and long lasting results
I would like to know what study you read to double the dosage.
Thankyou

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
I would like to know what study you read to double the dosage.
Thankyou
Let me find my source, it's from Saanendoe which did a big study when giving copper was still scary. It's always been advised 1 gram per 22#for as long as I have raised goats.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
29,932 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
1gram per 22 pounds is the most accurate dose. There is very little chance of overdosing them, I always round up to the nearest 20 pounds when dosing.

4grams wont do much of anything for a 300pound goat and is a waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
I always under dose on it in case.
I wait 4 months then re-evaluate, if they are still showing signs, I will give more at that time.
As it takes a while to show results.

You have to also add if they are getting it in other ways, such as minerals, soil, hay ect.

The way I do it is a safety precaution.
Copper toxicity is real.
So be careful.

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
Frequency also depends on your situation. I have high sulfur in our well water which keeps copper from binding so I have to bolus every 2 months or we have issues. If I wait for 3 months it takes forever to get them back on track. You really need to understand your personal struggles. High iron and calcium is also a factor. I would read the link I posted..its very helpful in understanding the toxicity verses copper needs. If you loose a goat or process one..have the liver tested for copper levels. Unfortunately the last goat I lost who was here his whole life died on Thanksgiving so no test but he would have given us a perfect picture of what was going on.
Giving copper can be pretty scary..keep reading scientific information and new findings helps us make informed decisions.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 16 of 16 Posts