Ever feel like just giving up? :(

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Mar 13, 2010.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Today has just not been a good day. I just feel like crying. :tears: I have one goat that has been sick for awhile and it is just not responding to anything...it's not looking good at this point and i've already spent a fortune on it. I am just feeling like whenever everything is going great with my herd something comes up. I mean...all the other goats are looking great, but it's just hard when this happens. I just feel like giving up and selling my entire herd. I don't know if I will feel different tomorrow, I've been seriously considering selling out and I'm just so frustrated and sad because I am so bonded with this herd i've put together. I guess after this summer when all the kids are born I can decide. Anywho, thanks for reading through this...any advice or words of encouragement would be much appreciated. :sigh:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Things look tough right now i'm sure. But you will get through it. I've had plenty of times where I felt completely overwhelmed and felt like pulling the plug, but I just kept on trucking and things got better.

I will pray for your doe, if you need to talk that's what this forum is here for!. :hug: :hug: :pray:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Kylee....don't give up...if you love having goats... it would break your heart even more....if you sold them all.......... :hug:
    Sometimes ....we get an animal ...that just won't do well....I understand how it hurts... to have a sick animal or lose one..... but.. it does happen and has happened to all of us.... When we have to pour alot of money into a goat....and nothing good is coming from it ...we get frustrated...... Hang in there.... your goatie may snap out of it and get well..... Prayers and thoughts to you and your goats.... to make things better... We are here for you.... :hug: :pray:

4. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    I hope I can make this seem as encouraging as possible, but really it's all just trial and error, that's what having a farm is all about. It's hard to accept that sometimes you are going to lose some goat buddies :(
    I know that when I start my herd and start having goat kid that there is a chance I may lose a doe or kids, or even my entire herd if a predator gets to them or a disease wipes them out or just bad weather. I hear about that all the time.
    The best thing you can tell yourself is that you're doing your best, and you really are. You're willing to aid this goat any way you can, if you didn't have the goat, then there might have been another that would have just done something to be done with it.

This might not have anything to do with goats, but my ex and I were planning to breed leopard geckos and half of them were wiped out by a fungus, I wanted to save whoever I could, while my ex decided to not vet the ones we could anymore. I tried my best, and I did decide to get out of leopard geckos (but only because of the losses and then other things in life came up)..

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, and I'm not trying to sound cruel, but it's one goat, and you're doing your best and if something happens at least it was in good hands. I know it's hard to lose animals you get attached to, but that's farm life! You have to just keep positive, and know that you're going to have good days and bad days, you know what I mean?

Keep strong and I hope you feel better!

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I'm so sorry you're going through this as well as your goat.
    Smart, give the decision the maximum amount of time you can, so you have no regrets later. I know this is easier said than done, especially since you have spent so much money on treatment/care. In the end, I believe we all make the right decisions for ourselves, but just don't do it in haste. Keep your chin up and many :pray: for your goat.

6. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    I second this, I sold my first English angora in haste because I thought it was not going to work out, and I deeply regret that.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Chin up Kylee :hug: It does seem at times that no matter how well we care for our goats or even just how much we care, there will always be something that happens that makes you think twice over wether or not you are the best owner for them... sometimes no matter how hard we try we'll still seem as though we're fighting an up hill battle. It does get better and there will still be issues but we do learn to accept them and deal with them as they come. :hug:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    been there done that got the Tshirt and it does get better.

"up, up, up it only can go up from here" (its a country song :p )

I thought about getting out of goats, saving up my money, getting a car thats better on gas instead of a gas a holic truck but my life woulnt be the same.

Sometimes its we arent ment to save them, I am sure you have put every effort out to do what you can. Obviously the other goats are healthy and good, shows you have a nack for raising goats and are doing somethign right. :hug: hang in there. Its hard with teh winter and the snow and cold weather.

Just think -- DAYLIGHT SAVING starts tomorrow :leap: that always is a good thing. More light during the "day" its very helpful. :)

9. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Yes I do. I think we all do from time to time. But I have had to face the idea of waking up and not haveing my goats to great me in the morning. I decided they where worth fighting for, and they where. ;)

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Kylee.....I to have (as others have said also) had the same thoughts about my goats as well as my other animals/pets, but then I think about what life would be like without them and I would hate that too.....they bring so much joy to my husband and I.....as much as it sucks to loose one or have one sick, the good times out way the bad.

I really hope that your doe gets better :hug: .....hang in there!

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes, in fact right now, I'm feeling extremely frustrated and feel like giving up too :hug:

I keep thinking, maybe I should sell the breeding stock, keep the special pets, and just STOP.

But then I would lose the joys of breeding and having babies born and looking forward to them...yes it's very tough, like right now with two favorites sick, but I would hate to lose everything I worked for because I gave up

:hug:

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You guys are just amazing. This is truly why I love this forum so much. :hug: I read through these posts, went out and just sat with my goats this evening and I already feel so much better. My mom also said with a herd as big as mine it's not uncommon to lose one ever so often. I didn't lose any adults last year so this will be sad if I lose this doe, but I guess it's just going to happen sometimes. I'm bound to come up with a couple that catch a cold or get some other kind of sickness now and then. I really should be thankful everyone else is doing so well. I'm going to suck it up and hang in there....like some of the posts said, it will get better and I will get through this. Thank you all again. :hug: :grouphug:

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are so welcome Kylee :hug:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    one of my most favorite quotes "the Night is always darkest, just before the Dawn"

Hang in there, go spend some time with your herd, and your mom's right, you do have a big herd, and it happends :hug:

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Been there a couple times - and you know - I even sold over half my herd before i stopped and went WOOOOHHHH - what the heck am I doing???

Give it a little time and really think about what the best thing for YOU is. I know that you are younger and you have a whole life ahead of you and things that you want to do and then it doesn't help with the sick one - but know that you are the only one that can make the best decision for you.

I will have my cell with me all day tomorrow if you want to call and talk.... or email back and forth .... you know that I am here for you :hug:

16. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :hug: :hug: :hug: I really don't know where I'd be if I didn't have my animals to keep me grounded :hug: :hug: They love you unconditionally :hug: :hug:

17. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I've been there the very first doe I had kid this year I lost. It really did make me feel like giving up on them. Sometimes I still feel that way, but I do love my goats. Just always remember to do whats best for you. Keep your chin up. :hug:

18. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hang in there! It seems like a lot of us have been struggling with goat issues this year, but even when I have a bad time o fit, I can't imagine life without them!

19. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa
    Kylee,
    I feel for you because I am feeling the same way right now. But you are my knight in shining armor and I know how much this life means to you. Some times things get really tough and it seems like getting away will help. But then they get better and you know because you didnt give up, it made you stronger. I hope you always keep doing what you love.
    Mary

20. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Kylee,
    It happens to the best of us we all get down and just don't know where to go from there...but it does get better in time. Don't give up on your herd....at least not because of this because I'm sure they mean the world to you and you might regret it later. Just hang in there :)