Ever heard of a buckling growing horns at a month old?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Quick, curious question. Breeder had a buckling, figured he was polled. Then, says, at a month old he began to grow horns, so she disbuds him.

At a month old? I know with my bucklings, they most certainly have horns going WAY before that.

Do you think he was just growing the bumps some polled bucklings do and she burned his head? Lol.

Or are some bucklings just REALLY slow growers? His brother grew horns and was disbudded normally.

Oh, and the breed is Nubian

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    sounds like polled bumps to me :-(

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That's what I thought, because I remember when I bought Ozzy (the polled Nigi buck I lost at a young age) he had bumps on his head and they certainly FELT like the start of horn buds, but they weren't, they were just bumps.

Somewhere I read that Heterozygous polled goats (containing only one copy of the polled gene) had the bumps on their head, while Homozygous (having both copies of the gene) had smooth heads.

Hmmm...

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Definately agree with Allison. Unless he was very badly malnourished or something...he would have started sprouting buds at a couple weeks at the latest.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    polled bumps have hair on them horns are hairless and are pointy. I have burned a polled kid before not knowing how the bumps grow.

after burning the bumps continued to grow and i showed him to a breeder friend and she said "he is polled" oops poor guy

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    The youngster is in good shape; his brother too. So I'm thinking the breeder burned his head for nothing. Whoops!

If I see him in person, are there any clues to look for? I know about the swirly hair thing over the buds, does that still pertain to disbudded kids.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My polled myo doe has no hair on her polled bumps ;-)

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Caiti, the polled doe I had, had hair over her head, and her little polled buckling had hair too. I'm pretty sure Ozzy did too. Those are the only polled goats I've examined closely LOL.

Maybe your Myotonic doe wanted to be different. :p

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    very well could be or she just likes to rub her head alot - LOL!.... my other polled doeling (from what I can tell cause she won't come anywhere near the barn) looks to have hair over hers.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Maybe I missed this but were either of his parents polled?

We had one buck kid slowly develop like that. He wasn't malnourished, just very slow to mature. He was disbudded around a month of age. He was a pygmy.

11. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ive had a doe wait a month and a week, totally healthy, took her to the vet and he said she was in perfect health, she was the runt though. Even at a month he said I could of waited a couple more weeks.

If one of the parents was polled then ya it does sound like that but if not maybe he was just a slow developer

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh, yes of course, the sire is polled. I'm very familiar with co-dominant genetics. Comes from breeding ball pythons LOL.

I believe my friend has decided to go ahead and buy the buck. He'll be staying at my house, since I have plenty of room now and Blizzard needs a pal. We share bucks, as well as with another couple of friends, so it works out quite nicely.

13. I have seen kids born with horns and I have sold two kids that left here at 3 months and just started showing nubs before they left. Both breeders have told me they finally grew in. I also have a doe on my doe page nearly three years of age with horns no bigger then a typical four month old kid so I think it is depending on the kids or goats. My two that left here were very healthy it just took much longer then their siblings for some reason?

14. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Sounds like polled bumps to me. I have two polled whethers. One of them has very distinct horn like bumps on his head, but definitely not horns. They are rounded...

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I've had horned kids wait as long as 7 weeks before their horn buds broke through the skin.... so yep... it can happen. When she was born I knew she was horned (polled and horned heads look completely different at birth) .... but at a month old she really had me confused.... then 3 weeks later they broke through the skin and boy did they grow fast after that! LOL

16. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Breeder figured him for polled as a youngster, so who knows!

Guess we'll have to wait and see what he produces with our goats. LOL. He's a good looking buck regardless, with good genetics and mom's udder is lovely.

17. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    If you have pictures of his head (straight on) at birth I could tell you if he is horned or polled.