The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 year old, healthy, CAE neg, not copper deficient Mini Togg. Bred 2 years ago but her udder didn't develop well so I decided to make her a pet and not breed her again. Heavy heavy milker. About three weeks ago she decided for no apparent reason to come into milk again. She got so big and so tight and is so poorly suspended I just knew she'd tear that bag on a tree or fence and so milked her. CMT negative. Good rich tasty milk that I DON'T NEED OR WANT!! Right now she's filling up tight about every fifth day. She is out of a very heavy milking Togg line, many are precocious milkers their first time, but this is a new one on me. When I dried her off after her last normal lactation, it took forever.
Thoughts?

ETA: I milked 6 quarts from her today.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Does from heavy, heavy milking lines often develop precocious udders: udders that form without the doe being bred. I have seen a lot of these lately.

And I have never seen one of these first hand, but it says that even BUCKS from heavy milking lines come into milk. Which is kind of scary. Imagine having to sit on a stool, milk bucket under your buck's legs, milking out teeny tiny teats....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like precocious udder to me.
I've got a bunch who were precocious, but it always happened shortly before their first heat season. Once bred and in milk, it's never come back. This is the first time I've seen it return in a mature doe, but if it can happen in a buck I guess anything's possible.

I am thinking about milking her each day for an abbreviated, maybe 2 or 3 weeks or a month, full milk session and then start drying her down. It won't be any harder on me than checking her every day and fretting about whether she's going to hurt herself or get mastitis. I don't know what else to do.
She's a pet. I'm not going to breed her again. Can you do mastectomies on goats?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I have had several precocious milkers, also called maiden milkers. It happens.
I've also had does that I have retired from kidding , come into milk every kidding season, even though they were retired and not bred from there on.

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
I had a nubian buck that did come into milk..scared me to death..thought he had tumors...its been said that in nature the buck can make enough milk to help a orphan kid survive...would never believe it if I didn't see this in this buck..strange thing was the Doe I got with him came into milk without being bred and nursed another's kids..she was always stealing babies...she never got bred in the two years we had her but sure came into milk when others kidded..

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
Looks like I have a 9 week old with a p udder, no idea what to do with it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts