The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Registered Nigerian Dwarf Goats
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 year old Nigerian Dwarf goat that is going into heat every week. She was in heat on October 1 and at night she was in a standing heat so I put her with our 6 month old buck in the barn stall. They were rubbing all over each other. He mounting her at least twice before I headed to bed. So on October 7th she did the exact same thing so into the buck she went and got breed another 2 times. I just am so frustrated. Last year she got bred on November 7th and acted pregnant. She got tested by blood at 2 months along and never was pregnant. So she had a heat cycle in January and got bred finally. She was with a different buck in 2020 and he was prove. I just don’t know what to do with her.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I wouldn’t get too worried just yet. She might have had a 5 day heat (basically the first heat being a fake one). And it’s something that is not overly uncommon. Goats can also be in heat up to 48 hours.
So right now I would just sit back and see what she does. At the 30 day mark of yesterday pull blood and see if she is bred…..if she doesn’t come back into heat.
If she still has issues with her cycling it really can be a whole long list of things from mineral deficiencies, cystic ovaries and even a infection. Look for any signs of deficiency, copper, selenium and zinc are the most important for reproduction. And here is a article that you can give you some info to talk to your vet about a treatment for hormones. But hopefully she is now bred after yesterday and you won’t have to do anything.

BUT make sure you wait the 30 days or for her to go into heat before giving her any hormones. You don’t want to terminate this possible pregnancy or cause more issues for her down the line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn’t get too worried just yet. She might have had a 5 day heat (basically the first heat being a fake one). And it’s something that is not overly uncommon. Goats can also be in heat up to 48 hours.
So right now I would just sit back and see what she does. At the 30 day mark of yesterday pull blood and see if she is bred…..if she doesn’t come back into heat.
If she still has issues with her cycling it really can be a whole long list of things from mineral deficiencies, cystic ovaries and even a infection. Look for any signs of deficiency, copper, selenium and zinc are the most important for reproduction. And here is a article that you can give you some info to talk to your vet about a treatment for hormones. But hopefully she is now bred after yesterday and you won’t have to do anything.

BUT make sure you wait the 30 days or for her to go into heat before giving her any hormones. You don’t want to terminate this possible pregnancy or cause more issues for her down the line.
Thank you for your help! This is my first year doing the breeding season on my own. Last year I brought them to a good friend to get the bred.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
I have had does go into heat, get bred, then 5-7 days later be back into heat. Like above, the first one I think their eggs just don't drop then they gear up and pop the eggs out 5-7 days later. Now if she is coming into heat literally every week for months, then she probably needs, I think it's Cystorelin. She would be considered short-cyling. But right now, I think watch and test in 30 days if no more activity.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had does go into heat, get bred, then 5-7 days later be back into heat. Like above, the first one I think their eggs just don't drop then they gear up and pop the eggs out 5-7 days later. Now if she is coming into heat literally every week for months, then she probably needs, I think it's Cystorelin. She would be considered short-cyling. But right now, I think watch and test in 30 days if no more activity.
I am hoping I can get her bred naturally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts