Everyone say hello to Mazie..

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I was offered a free doe on Friday, my SO really liked her so we picked her up Saturday. She was part of a petting farm and has never been bred. The previous owner thinks she is approx. 5 or 6 yrs old, she also has no ideal what breed she is.

She is just a little taller than my ND does, she is very solid even though she is a little on the fat side. We are thinking maybe a saanen/spanish mix, maybe.

So any ideals what she is and would she be to old to breed for the first time?

I have always wanted a white goat. :leap: Anyways here is Mazie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well, I cannot answer your questions, but I wanted to say that she is cute!! :) And I love the name Mazie. I am going to name my next baby Mazie. (If I ever have another baby girl, that is! LOL)

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks I think she is a doll as well, and her name really just seems to fit.

You know the more I look at those pictures I cannot but help seeing Pygmy in those legs, I dont know I have been staring at her so much trying to figure it out I am seeing her in my sleep.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I just love white goats...and you are right--she does look kind of pygmy.

I don't have much experience with breeding a doe the first time at her age, but I don't see why she couldn't be bred if you bred her to a pygmy or nigie buck. And after she's gone on a diet, of course.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    put her on a diet and then I only might do it. I bred two does for the first time when they were 4 and they were ok but I would make sure you can be there just in case she has trouble.

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    She is already on a diet, the girl jiggles way to much when she moves. :roll:

I wish I had taken a picture of her poor feet when we got her, they were horrible, actually all of her goats feet were bad, so we did them for her. Told her we would come back in two weeks and do the feet again, she is really a nice lady that just does not know alot about goats.

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Very pretty girl!!!

Congrats

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats to you... on such a pretty doe.... :love: :greengrin:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    not sure on the breed..but i love that beard :)

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    ditto what rowdy said about the breed, ditto what stacey said about breeding her :wink:

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She is cute! Congrats! I would say she is maybe a pygmy/saanan cross or maybe some nigerian dwarf in there.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say pygmy /nigi...more pygmy with those stout legs. And I agree with putting her on a diet before you have her bred...the right niogi buck could give you some very nice kids from her.

She is a pretty girl! Take a look at my Angel, her dam is a nigi/pygmy and her sire a pygmy....she looks like a mini Saanen with her length of body and the lean nigi legs.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am on a diet for the same reason. :ROFL:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lori ... :ROFL:

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I think she lookd pygmy too. She may afford to loose a little weight. but pygmies tend to have a very large and round belly. She may be taking on more pygmy traits then you think. I really dont think she looks that fat. She is a very deep doe.
    beth

17. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I am really hoping that she will bring some of that depth to my breeding stock. Now I have to figure out wich buck to put her with. My Lamancha, the blue-eyed ND, or my proven ND buck.

I am leaning toward the lamancha or the blue-eyed buck. But to be honest I really dont care as she is such a sweetheart, she and my lamancha doe are having it out right now on who gets my attention first.

18. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I would breed her to a one of the nigerians due to her size. I'm thinkin' saanen/ pygmy but more pygmy. She's pretty!! :love:

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    One of the NDs. :wink:

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

the first time you breed her i would breed her to a nigie or pygmy. Sinse she has never kidded before you may run into pronlems even with small kids.
    beth