The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the goats came home with me (in the back of a truck filled with straw, covered with a topper, through a hail storm and over 200 miles of highway after the owner and I loaded them but not before we separated them and they screamed for their mama), and the following morning had to lead them from the truck to the barn by the horns; and now they're in the barn. which is no where near the forage area that I recently fenced for them....
they are warming up to me but typically bolt whenever I move towards them.
I'm thinking--- no forage, now what? I gave them simple weedy hay and home grown barley and minerals and soda and electrolytes in the water. They came from a big ranch with Maremma dogs. I hope to get them used to handling so I can lead one at least and get them trained to go to the forage area during the day. they just cant sleep there at night because of lions and coyotes. I am sad they are stuck in the barn (it has yard but nothings growing there). Any ideas?

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the world of goats!!! It takes time to win them..patients and a calm spirit...Take a chair or stool into their pen area...bring treats..like WASA crackers or corn chips..(always give just a few bites lol..dont want to upset their tummies)
At first..just sit there..kind of going about your own business..bring a book to read or my favorite...sing : ) ..just let them get used to you being there..offer treats but dont force it...do this daily and soon they will meet you at the gate..
in the mean time..bring hay into the pen..loose minerals and plenty of clean water..Once one comes to you it wont be long before the rest decide to join in..best wishes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts