Evil Listeriosis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by moley829, Oct 21, 2013.

1. moley829

moley829 New Member

Jul 8, 2013
    This may be a long post but it may save a goat. Two weeks ago I got a frantic call from my husband saying one of my goats was having seizures. My heart sank. My first kid, now 1 1/2 yr old, Cleo was having seizures, darting/rolling eyes, unable to stand. My first search told me it was Polio. An hour later I came across Listeriosis. It said if you weren't sure to treat for both. I got Thiamine from my vet. He said if it was Polio that she should be showing signs of improvement in a few hours. I was dishearted when she didn't shows any signs of getting better. I figured if the shot of Thiamine didn't help it must be Listeriosis. This disease is not for the faint of heart. I cried watching her try and try to move, to only seize up and cry. The good news is that she is now improving everyday!! I gave her 10cc of penicillin the first night. 5cc 3 times a day for 7 days. 5cc twice a day for 7 days. Tomorrow I'm sure she will be glad to only be getting poked once. I plan to do 5cc once a day until she is 100% better. She has gone from immobile, crying in pain to walking around grazing(granted it is not graceful) and tonight she cried for her food. She knew I was coming! (With her shot of course and food) I can only hope this information helps someone else.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad you caught it quickly and acted fast. I hope she fully recovers for you.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good job, you acted quickly!! Do contiue the thiamine as well....Thanks for shareing!!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely, your experience can help others!
    Polio and Listeria are 2 of the most dramatic illnesses when it comes to the neurologic symptoms and can be very scary to see, once treatment starts though and the symptoms diminish, the goat has a good recovery outcome. Catching it quickly is the key for a better recovery :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good work, catching it early is very crucial. Thanks for sharing.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Great catch Moley!!

7. moley829

moley829 New Member

Jul 8, 2013
    I've read a dozen goat books. None of them mentioned Polio or Listeriosis. I know what to watch for now.