EWWW! CDT Abcessed!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    So my doeling, Arabella, has been rubbing all over her pen the last couple days, I was afraid she had gotten mites or lice somehow, but I was petting her today and noticed a scabby feel under the fur where she got her CDT. I had been told it might abcess by her breeder, so I knew what happened. OK, no problem! I went to clean it up and got all the scabby stuff off and its still oozing! So I start to get all the junk out that would come out. EWWW! It was like poping a humungo zit LOL!

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    BTW: I left it open after cleaning. should I put something on it? I did disinfect it, but left it open to the air.

3. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Maybe some anibiotic ointment?? also I was told that the vaccine might not have been effective when my girl has an abcess.... so my vet re-vaccinated...

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It happens, I have one doe out of 6 that ended up with an abcess...once it breaks, it will drain and need to heal from the inside out, I cleaned the area and put a smear of Bag Balm over it to keep it clean and to prevent a scab from forming to allow the inside to heal.

5. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Yucky! Thankfully it probably looks a lot worse than it really is. As long as it is kept clean it should heal up just fine.

I have started giving all of my CD&T vaccines IM instead of under the skin now because I was tired of those darn lumps. Since I show, I didn't want to be taking goats to the show with a big armpit lump. I asked a long-time breeder how they kept theirs from lumping up and he said they gave all of them IM in the thigh.

I've been doing mine that way ever since (about a year now) and it has worked great. It's easier, too, since I don't have to worry about trying to pinch up a piece of skin and get the needle though in the right depth. I just hold them between my legs and poke them right in the thick part of the thigh muscle. I use a 3/4 inch needle to avoid going too deep and hitting the nerve. Never had a lump, never had an abscess, never even had one limp afterwards.

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I didn't know you could give them in the muscle!

7. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Yep, works like charm. Now the one risk I have hear associated with this is that you can hit the sciatic nerve back there and maybe make them limp around for a few days (not something terribly harmful, but you wouldn't want it to happen right before a show). I mentioned this to the breeder who first told me about it and to my vet, both said that using the 3/4 or 1 inch needle makes that a pretty low risk.

My vet said that the nerve is located pretty deep and it is sort of in between and under two of the big muscles on the thigh. He said to just make sure to feel the muscle and stick it into a nice plump spot, not where it feels hollow (hard to describe but basically you want to go INTO the bundle of muscle fibers not in between two muscles).

I have been doing this on all my goats, kids and adults, for over a year and it is just way easier and no lumps.

8. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Shots given in the muscle would be bad for goats used as meat.... :chin:

9. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

I don't really know anything about meat goats so I don't know if that is true or not...all of mine are dairy.

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Ugh I know how you feel with the cd/t abscess! My husband is used to giving shots to horses - not goats....he gave it to them in the neck!!! He did give our oldest set of twins their between the shoulders, but they formed abscesses that are finally healing up.

Now that I know how to give shots and am confident I plan on doing them for now on - I've never had an abscess form yet from anything!
    Also - you can give it to them in the skin behind the front leg to help keep from getting abscesses.

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Hers was done in the neck, too, I didn't know you could give it anywhere else! You guys are awesome to share your info! We do have to give her a booster soon, so all this info is GREAT!

12. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Giving Any vacine IM is hampering it intended purpose. A vacine is to be injected sq so it is slowly absorbed and the goats body has a relatively long period to react to it, or build an immunity to it. If it is injected IM it is almost immediately absorbed by the muscle with No Chance for an immunity response.
    This is the best place to give an SQ injection. It is not visible if it would abcess and is more unlikely To abcess because of the constant movement of the goat front legs. When the goat walks she helps the absorption of the vacine AND keeps the product "moving" at the injection site so as to keep it from "hardening". The point of the shoulder would be another good location.
    I am sure everyone knows but I will say it anyway...ANYTIME ANY abcess ruptures the contents are considered Zoonotic. ANY contents should be immediately contained and disposed of properly before any cross contamination between goats is possible. Best if you wear gloves and then wash your hands in hot water with soap and then disinfect them...Zoonotic= Bad for you too