expensive goat mistake

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by That_Girl, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I bought Dyne at Tractor Supply..its a great additive. 20200726_221415.jpg

lottsagoats1 and Sfgwife like this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    When looking for the dyne.... check to see how much dog dyne is where you shop. Same good stuff in it. Sometimes it is significantly lower priced and sometimes not. And just know also that when giving it she may not eat as much. It makes them feel full. But it is a great thing to use in instances like this!

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    She looks a little strange to me. Yes, she's skinny but not so much over the ribs as she is in the hindquarters. Usually by the time the hindquarters are this wasted the rest of the body looks in worse condition. What kind of area was she kept in? It looks like the muscles have atrophied and I wonder if she just hasn't been getting enough exercise. If she was in a small pen or in a place with no pasture she may have simply eaten in one place and was never motivated to move around. I think taking her for a walk every day might do wonders for her body condition and her hooves. Having her on that leafy green pasture will also motivate her to move around as she eats. Rebuilding her pelvic muscles will probably improve her hock angle.

HMNS, SalteyLove and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. I'd do a fecal. She has the wasting at the spine which in my experience and others that have told me, bankrupt worm can cause. Possibly. I echo all that's been said above. But she appears to have wormy belly. Maybe check/worm for tapeworm as well. In kids, tapeworms and sometimes others lead to them being skinny everywhere but the belly. Her shoulders are super sharp as is her hind end and spine. Posty legs could be genetic. Also she only kidded 5 weeks ago, it takes a couple of months for the body to get back where it needs to be, including posty legs sometimes.

5. you make a good point! i suspected with the overgrown hooves, and the way her hindquarters look that she's not had much exercise. i plan on having her out and hoofing around more ASAP, but for now she's having an hour of browsing when im available to watch her.

ahh that makes a lot of sense. plus not getting enough minerals would make recovery from kidding physically very difficult. I started her and the kids on valbazen last week and will run a fecal to the diagnostics lab as soon as i'm done worming.

Jubillee and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. Here's two fresh sets of pics! what do you think?

Attached Files:

7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I got Dyne from Chewy, before I learned they were a big supporter of HSUS, a sister group to PETA. That turned me right off of them.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would say probably 4 years old.

That_Girl and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I get it from amazon and tractor supply. Amazon has the better deals but tractor supply at least has it in stock if I happen to have missed that I didn’t have my usual back up gallon

That_Girl and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. i would be shocked if she was! she just looks so rough, it's hard to imagine she's younger than my big, sleek girls.

I'm willing to try this. im down for high-calorie anything that will not hurt her stomach like a big grain bump.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, looks around 4 years.

12. update!! i bought dyne and she's eating just as well as before. her belly has shrunk a little, hopefully because of the worming and her famcha color seems to have improved over the two weeks i've had her. getting her clean and strong asap before she can be introduced into my herd (herd queen is a big 160lb monster). overall she is very resilient and im very very thankful for everyone's input! thank you!

Attached Files:

MellonFriend likes this.
  13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think she's looking better already! It's probably just that she knows she's loved now. Keep up the great work!(clap)

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Good improvement. Keep up the good work

16. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Keep up the good work. She is lucky to an awesome owner like you. A little more time we won't be able to recognize her

17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou for giving her a chance. All "the pretty" ones are sold easily. Thankyou for looking past the hardlife and saw the possibilty! :ty: