expensive goat mistake

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by That_Girl, Jul 25, 2020.

1. thank you! im not really doing much aside from feeding her. she's definitely muscling up while grazing on our hilly pastures tho she avoids the very steep parts for some reason... she had some edema last month so i weighed her and wormed with cydectin-- 120lbs! hard to believe her boney butt weighs that much. speaking of her rump-- ive tricked myself into believing it looks not as pinched as it was? not that the changes would be Drastic but

Attached Files:

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    She’s looking a lot better, good job!

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Tanya like this.
  4. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    From what I see in the photos, she has a bad case of mis-meal colic. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to bring her back to health. Just don't get impatient and over do on your support supplements. I would suggest that you let her have access to good minerals and she will get what she needs her self. On the selenium and other force fed minerals don't over do and cause her digestive tract issues. Easy on the BOSS also or you will have loose poop. So what I am trying to say is she didn't get into this condition over night and it will take time for her to recover. The sooner you can wean the kids off the better for her recovery. You have gotten lots of great advice in the other posts so good luck with her.

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She looks better than her first appearance. Be patient and consistant. Not overly obsessive with speed. You will find she will happily get well and make you a happy goat momma.

6. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    She is definitely looking better (dance):clapping:

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. i will do more research on this! its frustrating because she's anemic and ive been giving her red cell + vit B complex regularly along with cydectin (2cc per 11lbs) BUT she's twenty days in and STILL occasionally having bottle jaw after she grazes! i dont want to stop the iron supplements yet but i dont want to inundate her with too many minerals...

9. UPDATE ON GERTRUDE!

after worming with cydectin she's not had any bottle jaw issues. she's about 115lbs and still in need of weight. consistently she's had a great appetite! she's actually been playing recently with the herd queen and i was stunned! her winter coat has come in great and is hiding some of her bones but she's still making progress i feel.

Attached Files:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    She is beautiful!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    (highfive)This is awesome! May God bless you for taking her in and caring for her the way you did!

13. BethJ

BethJ Well-Known Member

May 28, 2019
    North Carolina
    I think she looks a lot better! You can actually see her pretty dorsal stripe now that you've worked on her copper deficiency

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Shes coming along nicely. THANKYOU!

15. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Great job! I am happy for her and you!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  16. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Look at the smile on that goat's face. Lets you know shes in a much better place.