Experience with Goat Polio?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Saddlebum, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    I believe my Nubian wether has goat polio and am treating him with shots the vet gave me and probiotic. I'm wondering how well they do once treatment has started? How long it takes for them to recover? I know time is essential and I'm not sure how long it's been, a day, two maybe three? He was star gazing, trouble walking, wanting to lay down, could get up but fell easily with a little push. I just started treatment this afternoon and have just given him a second Vit B's shot. Giving 2x day and then Mon will stop in and pick up some more shots. Wondering what experience ppl have had with this disease.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you read that link I provided to you in your other thread?

here it is again:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... iosis.html

excerpt
    Listeriosis is also somethign you should treat for

except:

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I hope you see improvement soon :hug:

4. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Yup, did look at the link and I would give the peninicillin if I had it but, so sorry to duplicate posts, I'm just hoping for something good to happen soon. I will call my vet tomorrow to tell her about this other disease and see. I guess I wanted to hear success stories.

5. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Wanted to hear real strong positives... Thanks for the hug. :worried:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you continuing the treatment every 6 hours?

Honestly I havent heard much success with polio treatment but I hope to add your story to my success list. :pray:

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    You might want to ask the vet about giving him a shot or 2 of Dexamethasone. This will help with the swelling within the brain.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying for him.. :pray: :hug:

9. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Good News. 1st my vet decided 3 shots a day was better than 2 of the B complex. And today, he's 75% better. Still a wee bit tipsy and a bit spaced out but definitely better!!! He's been standing at his stall gate all day long - ugh.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so glad that your guy is doing better....and that you have a vet avvailable to you that will work with you.

11. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes, me too! Today he's eating and drinking normal. He ate a carrot like he knew what he was doing. The other day he didn't seem to know how to eat it but tried, scary for me. No more shivering! I still have him bundled up. I will post again tomorrow with the name of the new drug. Thanks for your prayers!