The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I posted that I was concerned that my nubians hadn't any sort of heat yet and we are well into Oct. I got some great advice. On Sunday we will be taking the girls to the farm where they will be bred so they can stay near the bucks. Right now I have the collar of their buck nailed up in the doorway of the barn... it's extra stinky. The breeder said they only wanted to keep them a few days though, so I am taking some of the other advice I got on my last post and giving them lute before they go. I want to make sure they go into heat while they are there. The vet is coming out tomorrow to do a couple of things for us and she is doing it while she is here BUT I am seeing so much conflicting information around lute. Can anyone share their experiences? I don't want them to have a heat where they don't ovulate and go through all of this for nothing.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
58,921 Posts
You are not guaranteed ovulation when you use Lute. However I have had great success with giving the shot and waiting 14 days before trying to breed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea. That is my concern. When I talked to the vet she didn't say anything about them maybe not ovulating and I just now reading that online. I'm not sure they are going to want to keep our girls 14 days... I'm not sure I would want them gone that long. Is there a chance if they haven't had a heat that they MIGHT ovulated with the lute?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
I used it on my doe and she is bred. I gave her 3cc and another 3cc 10 days later. She came in and was bred 26 hours after the second shot. She had never really been with a buck before either

Lutalyse is a stimulaing hormone. It causes the corpus leutium to form and release the folicle on the ovary. The corpus leutium is what produces progestrone and maintains pregnancy.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Another option with high success is to pair lutalyse and cystorelin. This will take two weeks...

OR

Speed everything up and go the CIDR route. Insert CIDR, give shot of PG600 or lutalyse on day 7, then pull CIDR day 8 and expose buck.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top