Extending 6 Week Old Buckling

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by LunaLovegoat, Jul 11, 2020.

1. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Hi everyone!

Hoping for some help! This is my first time with bucklings and I have a 6 week old Nigerian Dwarf buckling who just started extending today (I saw it when he was play mounting with one of our doelings).

All of our doelings are 6 weeks and under - we are planning to castrate him and keep him. Do we do it asap? Can he get his sisters/other does pregnant?

Also, how long does it take for him, if he is banded, for him to not be fertile? I looked around and couldn't find the answer to that - sorry if it has been already asked recently!

Sorry, one last question! Do we need to separate him from everyone else? I'm not sure how to because he is still very much nursing and has a twin sister.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

2. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Just adding a note - I did find a few posts that say to separate but I really wanted to keep him with his mom for as long as possible.

Would a make-shift breeding apron help with this issue?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I ise an infant onsie. Cut the crotch buttons off and cut the side seam up a bit. Leave the bottom half to hang and the top half i cut off some. It needs be a snug fit or it will come off.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Here's a picture of a onesie being used as an apron on my Merlin,(he loved looking at that handsome fellow in the oven reflection LOL;) ) it worked well till he was about 10 weeks old then he had to be separated because we kept him intact. I suggest after this option stops working you wether him, get a buck apron or separate him from all does.
    It's not unusual for a ND to be extending that young though. If you band too early he could develop problems down the line with His urinary tract so wait as long as you can. Once he's banded it takes about a month before he's no longer fertile and you're 100% safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When i had to separate boys from girls and boys were still a bit young to ween I just brought mom into the pen 2 times a day for nursing session. Was a bit of a pain at first but both the mom and boys learned and often I would find mom at the gate waiting for me to open it lol

6. LunaLovegoat

LunaLovegoat New Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Maine
    Thank you everyone! We tried the baby onesie and that is working great during the day (I have tons of them)! We are also separating the boys at night from the girls -- boys go into a giant doggie carrier in the kidding pen and girls hang out in the kidding pen, which is going really well.

Thank you everyone! We will keep doing this until its time to wether or we will fully separate if we think it is needed.

toth boer goats likes this.