Extra small triplet baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Aasiya, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Hi guys! My doe is finally in labour and has been having spaced out contractions for the last hour. I don't see any goo or bubble yet. For the last ten min, she's been seriously pushing..no progress so far. I have my birthing kit ready. This is my first time actually witnessing the birth...both times before I came when the kid was out already. Anything else I should do? Thanks!

HMNS, Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Active Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Can you check how dilated she is?

MadHouse likes this.

3. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    How exciting! Make sure that if she has been pushing hard for more than 30 minutes, you’ll need to wash up, glove up, and check her to see what’s delaying the progress.

Moers kiko boars, MadHouse and Aasiya like this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope you went in with active labor and no progress.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thanks for all the advice! Within 20 min, she proceeded to push out 3 healthy kids...two girls and boy. I'm so happy! She did everything herself real quick and then I gave her a bucket of molasses and water. Now she's resting with her kids. All have drunk their first colostrum with a bit of help. One of them is really tiny...I'll be keeping an eye on her. Really exciting morning:)

6. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    She expelled two placentas...I'll keep an eye out for third

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Really wonderful. You must try send us pictures. Congratulations. The little ones will make you laugh so much.

8. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    I'll definitely try to take some pictures!

9. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    So..after the initial excitement, I am now a bit anxious.
    1) the doe has expelled 2 placentas as of yet. Should I be worried about a third?
    2) the tiny 'runt' doeling seems much less active than the others. Also, she can't nurse without help and doesn't suck strongly. I gave all of them a drop of oral selenium. Do I have to bottle/syringe feed the runt with moms colostrum? I kept her in a basket in her mother's pen because I'm afraid she will be stepped on. It's warm outside. Any advice? Thanks again.

10. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Take the lil one’s temp. It needs be 102.5. If not warm it up. Warm towels, in a garbage bag head out in very warm water, a heating pad. Keep a close eye on the temp. If you need to jacket it for a while... hours or days it will be fine.

It will not hurt to give the wee one a bottle of mom’s colostrum after it is warm enough.

A shot or oral b complex will not hurt it. 1/4ml for small breeds and 1/2 ml for large breeds.

Check the roof of its mouth good to make sure there is no cleft palet up there.

I would not worry about another placenta. Maybe the wee one was sharing one and did not get as much nutrition. You are doing great!

11. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thank you! I will try the bcomplex. I tried giving her a bottle but she refused... however, she can suck from her mother if I hold her up. Above, is her photo beside an inch ruler plus another with her brother and sister(put in crate for photograph)

She feels warm to the touch and perked up after I fed her three drops of dextrose. I'll take her temp

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She is so small

13. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Yeah..I'm worried about her. She's just 1.2 pounds. Can anybody tell me how much chance she has for survival? Her mother is such a sweetie...she loves her tiny baby and gets distressed if I move her.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    As long as the tiny one is eating enough, popping and peeing and maintains her temp, she should be ok. You should weigh her daily to make sure she is gaining.

Try different nipples, Pritchard (soft red ones if you have access to them) nipples are usually tolerated by newborns. They won't like a hard or large nipple.

Congratulations on all the babies!

15. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm praying for this little one. We don't have feeding bottles for animals...so I was trying with a human baby bottle. It's nipple is small and soft. I think she just needs a bit of strength to suck...and then can do fine with mom. For now, I'm very carefully feeding with a dropper, as she only needs 1/2 ounce per feeding. Do you think a stomach tube is safer?

She passed meconium and I think she peed as well.

16. Stef

Stef New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Woodstock I'll, usa
    I hope all of your kids are doing well!!! It is a lot of work and a lot of fun, but in the end it's worth it! I know goats can get problems very easily and I am hoping your kids don't go through to many!

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Go buy a Pritchard nipple. It is a red nipple with yellow screw cap. Fits on 20 ounce Pepsi product bottles. She needs something that she can easily get milk from. You won't get her to drink from a baby bottle if she doesn't have a strong suck reflex. Give the B Complex orally. She definitely needs to be weighed daily. More than likely she will need to be supplemented at minimum.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  18. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thank you. Pritchard nipples or any other feeding bottles/nipples made for animals/ livestock are not available here. I looked in most of the feed stores while they were open, when I was gathering kidding supplies. I can't order them on Amazon because they don't ship to Bangladesh. For now, I'm holding her up to her mother every two hours, and she suckles until her belly becomes firm. Is that ok? Also, I have already given her 1/4 ml of bcomplex injection as that's what I had. Will that hurt her? I'll be weighing her everyday; how much weight gain should I look for? Thanks again...