The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I wish my luck for once would just pick up. I'm so sick and done with these parasites! This is the first time ive dealt with parasites and it certainly sucks.

I had a kid with a bad case of coccidia and heavy worm load (who is finally better) and now one of my newer does came down with a heavy load. I wormed her with safeguard and several weeks prior gave her some corid (since her and the kid seemed to get similar symptoms the same time). She seemed to be getting better, but suddenly this past Sunday, she was down. She couldnt stand up... She showed signs of bottle jaw as I was in the middle of worming her with the safeguard, but it went away. I did the eyelid check and they're pale white... I know now she's extremely anemic.

I took her to the vet on Monday, and they gave her a shot of Thiamine, a dose of Valbazen (to be safe on the worms) and gave me a bottle of something similar to red cell to give her daily for 14 days. They confirmed her anemia, but aren't 100% on the cause. (My best guess is on the heavy worm load since fecals confirmed this about a week before).

Today is now Thursday, and I'm not sure if she's improving. I'm helping her to get up and stretch her legs, trying to get her to stand for a bit just so she isn't laying down all day. Vet recommended I do this as well until she can stand again.

On Monday, she had an awesome appetite. But now it doesnt seem as great as it was. She is still eating however.

Daily, I've been giving her B complex paste, a probios paste, and what the vet gave me (don't remember the name but its like red cell). She seems to be able to stand for short while, but her back legs especially are very weak. She has access to hay, goat pellets and water currently. I'm checking her eye lids daily, and if they are getting more pink rather than white, its hard to tell. I honestly don't know how well or fast she is recovering since she has been acting almost the same for the past several days... Thankfullly, she's pooping and peeing still quite a bit. But not sure how much she's really eating right now. Still when I check on her there is poops so she must be doing alright with food.

I suppose now I'm just trying to think of more ways to help her recover. To at least get her to stand again. How long does recovery typically take for a very anemic goat? This has been a very stressful few months with my goats getting wormy.

If anyone is curious of the breed she is, I'd say she's a mini Nubian (I think she's a mini due to her size). My herd is all Kiko except her.

Please feel free to share with me your thoughts, experience and ideas?

Thank you for your time. I'm still learning about our goats and how to keep them healthy and well.

I added a few pics. This was the day before she was on the ground. You can see the bump on her jaw too. She has also lost a lot of weight :( hoping we can get her back and healthy.
20190919_231508.jpg
20190919_231523.jpg

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would suggest giving her a copper bolus (because that does affect anemia ), daily B12 in addition to the B complex, and if she is not eating make a shake of pellets, molasses,etc. to give her with a turkey baster. I would also suggest checking the fecal to see if the worms were killed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest giving her a copper bolus (because that does affect anemia ), daily B12 in addition to the B complex, and if she is not eating make a shake of pellets, molasses,etc. to give her with a turkey baster. I would also suggest checking the fecal to see if the worms were killed.
All sounds good. I've heard about human tablets for extra B vitamins. Can I use those? (The feed store ones are a bit pricey for such small amounts :s )
And yes, Vet mentioned to recheck fecal in about a week. I'll consider the copper, but doesn't Red Cell contain enough for her to thrive on?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Are you keeping her warm? When they're anemic they have trouble regulating their body temp. My vet had me giving calf manna, in addition to grain and alfalfa pellets. Molasses has iron in it so it's good for anemic goats especially blackstrap molasses. Try mixing some pumpkin baby food or canned pumpkin in with her pellets, probios and molasses, my little doeling loved that when she was anemic. The red cell should be 1cc per 10lbs daily until pink then once a week until it's dark. (Per my vet)
It's a slow slog getting them back where they should be don't expect it to happen overnight. It took awhile to to get to that point so a quick fix isn't going to happen. Good luck and keep your chin up she'll get there :)

·
Super Moderator
58,493 Posts
You really should be giving the B Complex by injectable. Of course never give oral meds by injection. It doesn't work as well going through the rumen.

Did you have another fecal done to include coccidia? That stance looks like she is still very wormy. I'd also say to give her a copper bolus. The copper particles kill barberpole on contact so that will also help with parasites.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Tractor Supply has oral B12 (Rooster Booster brand) that tastes good. I usually give 30cc (my goats are boer goats) orally for a few days when they are that bad. She absolutely needs the extra copper. If you give it in the form of copper wire particles it won't hurt her. Tractor Supply should have that also. Copper deficiency makes anemia worse. The B12 will help with her blood.

·
Registered
30,207 Posts
You need to fecal her to make sure parasites are gone.
What was the valbazen dose she got?
Bottle Jaw is a reaction to the anemia. I would be doing the red cell we give 6 cc per 100# daily for a week. Im not sure the dose for what the vet gave you so stick with what he suggested. She may Need injectable Iron instead however. ( always have epi, large dose of Benedryl or a shot of Dexamethasone incase of reaction to the shot)
You should also give her 30 cc of a 50/50 acv/water mix once a day. this helps speed recovery.
The B12 combined with B complex or you can get B complex PLUS with has the extra B12 in it.
Cobalt block helps as well as high protein feed and browse food.
If she wont eat enough on her own, make her smoothies of dark greens, carrots and celery.
I agree with copper bolus her as suggested
provide fresh water and a bucket of electros for her to choose from to help her stay hydrated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good luck !
This happened to me about a month ago and I truly thought my doe was going to die . She’s is happy and thriving now . I know that’s not much help but hoping it atleast gives you some hope .

What worked for me was corrid followed by 5 days of vit b. Also safeguard and ivermectin for 3 days ( don’t forget to give the booster 10 days later ) , constant probios and electrolytes , and red cell daily for a week and then once a week after that until her eyes were a Healthy color . I also gave nutridrench . I also put ACV in her water but idk if that did anything - it did make her drink more tho . When she would eat , it would be alfalfa since it has more nutrition than grass hay etc . Also once she felt better I let her forage and find what she wanted .

It sounds like you’ve tried most or all of these things , so I guess that info probably isn’t very helpful but just know that mine took about 10 days to get better and about 3 weeks to REALLY be back to her old self . Wishing for a fast recovery for your doe !!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If she is down she may need a blood transfusion. Goats hide sickness so if they are down that means it is really bad. Did your vet mention that?

I would recommend following the protocol here: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

Daily Fortified B Complex shots. It will help with anemia and boost their energy. @toth boer goats told me on here that you can give the shots in amounts of 12cc, 3 times a day. You can't overdose b vitamins.

Also give Red cell or Magic cell orally daily for 5 days, then once a week after that. Dosage is
6ml/100 lbs.
Give probiotic gel 2 times a day.

Is she scouring?

Can you hear rumen sounds?

What loose minerals does she have available?

Make sure they have electrolytes available to drink at all times.
A 100 pound goat needs a gallon of fluids per day (spread out over 24 hours). So if she's not drinking, then syringe feeding, tubing, or sub-q fluids will have to be administered. Same with not eating, a slurry like others have mentioned should be fed.

Keeping an eye on her temp is super important. Normal temp is 101.5 F to 103.5 F. If his temp is low, that is an emergency and means the rumen is shutting down. High is infection.

Some more ideas for fluids: http://www.goatworld.com/articles/potions/index.shtml

https://web.uri.edu/sheepngoat/files/FAMACHA-Scoring_Final2.pdf

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/whyarestomachwor.html

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/BVitamins06.html

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/dehydration.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you keeping her warm? When they're anemic they have trouble regulating their body temp. My vet had me giving calf manna, in addition to grain and alfalfa pellets. Molasses has iron in it so it's good for anemic goats especially blackstrap molasses. Try mixing some pumpkin baby food or canned pumpkin in with her pellets, probios and molasses, my little doeling loved that when she was anemic. The red cell should be 1cc per 10lbs daily until pink then once a week until it's dark. (Per my vet)
It's a slow slog getting them back where they should be don't expect it to happen overnight. It took awhile to to get to that point so a quick fix isn't going to happen. Good luck and keep your chin up she'll get there :)
Yes, vet made sure to mention keeping her warm! At night I get a blanket on her. In the morning I've been finding that she scoots away from it. At night it's been cold,.but the day is not nearly as bad. She seems okay so far.
I'll definitely do the pumpkin! I have plenty on hand to offer.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Yes, vet made sure to mention keeping her warm! At night I get a blanket on her. In the morning I've been finding that she scoots away from it. At night it's been cold,.but the day is not nearly as bad. She seems okay so far.
I'll definitely do the pumpkin! I have plenty on hand to offer.
An adult sweater or sweatshirt with the sleeve cut off is a good coat for them. Just make sure it is snug or they will get out of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You really should be giving the B Complex by injectable. Of course never give oral meds by injection. It doesn't work as well going through the rumen.

Did you have another fecal done to include coccidia? That stance looks like she is still very wormy. I'd also say to give her a copper bolus. The copper particles kill barberpole on contact so that will also help with parasites.
At tractor supply I saw they had the injectable and I almost took it but wasn't sure of the dosage. Would you happen to know but chance?
When I provided the fecal about a week before, vet confirmed no more coccidia. She had mostly just a lot of stomach worm. This picture was taken the day before she was on the ground. Her dewormers have been given and she seemed to improve since she was scouring before the wormers. Her poop is hard and in a pebble/log shape currently.

I'll need to check for the copper bolus, I'm not sure if I recall seeing it at tractor supply?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to fecal her to make sure parasites are gone.
What was the valbazen dose she got?
Bottle Jaw is a reaction to the anemia. I would be doing the red cell we give 6 cc per 100# daily for a week. Im not sure the dose for what the vet gave you so stick with what he suggested. She may Need injectable Iron instead however. ( always have epi, large dose of Benedryl or a shot of Dexamethasone incase of reaction to the shot)
You should also give her 30 cc of a 50/50 acv/water mix once a day. this helps speed recovery.
The B12 combined with B complex or you can get B complex PLUS with has the extra B12 in it.
Cobalt block helps as well as high protein feed and browse food.
If she wont eat enough on her own, make her smoothies of dark greens, carrots and celery.
I agree with copper bolus her as suggested
provide fresh water and a bucket of electros for her to choose from to help her stay hydrated.
Yes, the plan is in several days to follow up with a fecal. Ill need to pull the invoice I got and let you know, but I'm away from the house at the moment. When at the vet she was weighing at 50lbs.
I'll run to the store to grab these things, thank you for the advice

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If she is down she may need a blood transfusion. Goats hide sickness so if they are down that means it is really bad. Did your vet mention that?

I would recommend following the protocol here: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

Daily Fortified B Complex shots. It will help with anemia and boost their energy. @toth boer goats told me on here that you can give the shots in amounts of 12cc, 3 times a day. You can't overdose b vitamins.

Also give Red cell or Magic cell orally daily for 5 days, then once a week after that. Dosage is
6ml/100 lbs.
Give probiotic gel 2 times a day.

Is she scouring?

Can you hear rumen sounds?

What loose minerals does she have available?

Make sure they have electrolytes available to drink at all times.
A 100 pound goat needs a gallon of fluids per day (spread out over 24 hours). So if she's not drinking, then syringe feeding, tubing, or sub-q fluids will have to be administered. Same with not eating, a slurry like others have mentioned should be fed.

Keeping an eye on her temp is super important. Normal temp is 101.5 F to 103.5 F. If his temp is low, that is an emergency and means the rumen is shutting down. High is infection.

Some more ideas for fluids: http://www.goatworld.com/articles/potions/index.shtml

https://web.uri.edu/sheepngoat/files/FAMACHA-Scoring_Final2.pdf

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/whyarestomachwor.html

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/BVitamins06.html

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/dehydration.html
Yes, vet did mention a blood transfusion might give best and fastest results, but unfortunately very pricey :(

I'll definitely consider those instructions,

Currently she is not scouring. Her poop is hard pebble/log shape.
Her rumen is gurgling and on hand I have the Purina loose mineral. She is drinking a lot, thankfully.

Thank you for the temp info, I'll check up on her with it. And thanks also for the links.. I appreciate the advice

·
Super Moderator
58,493 Posts
At tractor supply I saw they had the injectable and I almost took it but wasn't sure of the dosage. Would you happen to know but chance?
When I provided the fecal about a week before, vet confirmed no more coccidia. She had mostly just a lot of stomach worm. This picture was taken the day before she was on the ground. Her dewormers have been given and she seemed to improve since she was scouring before the wormers. Her poop is hard and in a pebble/log shape currently.

I'll need to check for the copper bolus, I'm not sure if I recall seeing it at tractor supply?
You can follow the dosage directions for sheep.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You can go to the TSC website and order the copper boluses to be sent to your chosen store. Then you can go there to pick it up.

·
8,109 Posts
Vitamin b complex is 1 cc per 25#, sub q (under the skin) but you can give more, they pee out any excess. (Some people use 1 cc per 20#)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bad news everyone. She passed away last night, in her sleep as she was still active before I was tucking her in... :( thank you guys for your time and advice on the matter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts