The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Ruby, she gave birth to triplets in February (two did not make it apparently). I got her and her one kid in late February when the kid was a couple weeks old.
Her one udder has two teats, the larger of the two doesn't have an actual opening and the smaller one is so tiny that only a teeny bit of milk will come out when milking her.
She doesn't seem in pain or uncomfortable but her udder isn't going down now that baby is weaning. Should I be concerned about this one side?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see a very large blown out teat that definitely needs to be milked out and checked for mastitis.
I don't suspect mastitis and nothing is coming out anymore. When I was getting milk, it was from the tiny hole on the side, not from the main one at the tip. How much do I push on trying to milk?

·
Fair-Haven
4,729 Posts
The larger teat could be plugged. Try some warm compresses and see if you can milk her out. Is this your first time milking. Sometimes it takes a bit of pressure to unplug the duct. You do need to check for mastitis since the teat is blown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts