The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi yall! I am SUPER new to this goat mom thing and I am in need of help/ advice, I found this page and decided to give it a whirl! After that winter storm here in Texas, I volunteered to help out a local goat farm with their newly orphaned kids. I got 2, unfortunately, one passed away from barberworms, and I still have the other one (Cashew = 12 days old). With that being said, where I need help is recently she has been grinding her teeth, grunting, and like jumping/ ticking in her sleep, just standing around, has the WORST diarrhea! Oh and rubbing her head into everything (the vet said it's because her buds are coming in but idk...) Basically, I don't know what to do! The vet checked her out after the other one passed, cleared her, and sent her home with an oral 5-day dewormer. Other than that, she runs around, plays outside, sleeps, etc.. shes not pale around her eyes and mouth, shes not wobbly (flys from couch to couch like she has wings), she definitely eats (MannaPro, the blue bag for all babies )So this new stuff has me stressed beyond belief!!

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Yeah, get rid of the formula and buy regular red topped full fat milk from the grocery store.
Get a tub of Goat's Prefer electrolyte from tsc or other feed store. Or use Pedialyte.
Give this for 24 hours
Then start with the cow's milk. She will definitely do better on this.
Start with 4 oz if a dwarf or 8 ounces if a standard breed. Feed 4 times a day with never less than 4 hours been feedings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ADDITIONAL NOTES:
Name: Cashew
Feed Type: Bottle baby ( However she did receive colostrum, and was found cleaned off in the barn. So somegoat took care of her the first day and ditched her after )
Amount of milk: 6-8 oz, 3 times a day every 6 hours( 8am - 2pm - 8pm)

Thank yall in advance!! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, get rid of the formula and buy regular red topped full fat milk from the grocery store.
Get a tub of Goat's Prefer electrolyte from tsc or other feed store. Or use Pedialyte.
Give this for 24 hours
Then start with the cow's milk. She will definitely do better on this.
Start with 4 oz if a dwarf or 8 ounces if a standard breed. Feed 4 times a day with never less than 4 hours been feedings.
I bought that goat electrolyte by mannapro (i believe) from tractor supply. Would that be okay?
And do I warm up the whole milk? that's what I have been doing with the formula

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Of course, but if it's the orange nasty electrolyte then I won't use it for a kid that already has diarrhea. It doesn't digest well with all the dye and sugars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH! I'll run out and grab this stuff tomorrow morning and give this a try! Y'all are the bomb! Update to come!! :love:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So question,
Do I feed her the electrolytes along with the new milk? I feel like just on electrolytes she’s going to starve lol. Kinda like how we can’t solely survive off Gatorade.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
No milk for now..electrolytes only. Her tummy need rest. Try 24 hours then go to the whole cows milk warmed to 101 on stove top..never the microwave.
I prefer to weigh baby and feed based in weight..
We do the following formula
Weigh baby and multiply that by 16 to get weight in oz. Then multiply that amount by 10-12% to see how much per day she needs. Divide into 3-4 feedings. This is a starting point. Always feel tummy after her bottle. You want a flat but firm tummy..not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjuat amount accordingly. Re weigh her ever few days and redo the math.

Reactions: Kenzie_Kenzz

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
... milk warmed to 101 on stove top..never the microwave.
What's wrong with the microwave? Seems like as long as you shake it up to make sure it's heated through evenly it should be fine. I feel like I've got my microwave technique perfected. Not so much my stovetop method. It takes forever on the stove and I'm too impatient I guess.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I also did not know that a kid so young could die from barber pole worms. Yikes! Is that very common? I thought they usually started picking up worms when they begin eating solid foods, which isn't until about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
While some feel the main reason not to microwave is unfounded fear of nutrients being altered. And maybe it's due to old information. From what I understand a study was done that showed 30-40% nutrient loss after microwaving. B 12 is transformed into an inactive form. I haven't read any recent studies to dispute this. Only lots of options on how it's not bad. I rather be safe than Sorry. The over heating is a real concern too...so there is that lol.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Overheating is what I do on the stovetop! If I heat it directly on the stove, I end up scorching it. If I heat a bottle in boiling water I get impatient, go find something else to do, and then overheat the milk. It's a good thing I almost never have bottle babies. I'm a terrible "goat mom" when it comes to the whole bottle thing.

I have no advice for helping baby, but I hope little Cashew recovers from her rough start and thrives!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay cool! We started the electrolytes, she seems more sleepy than usual. She ran around in the yard for a while, walked around drowsy like, and is now curled up sleeping. I hope this works, and her belly gets back to normal

On the microwave, the vet said to just microwave and get the temp of the water and then mix in the supplement. That way it doesn’t alter anything:)

and lastly, on the barberpole worms, apparently when they found kids around the ranch they placed them in the barn and they managed to migrate near the feces. So the vet said she probably ingested some which unfortunately lead to her slow demise.

Attachments

·
8,066 Posts
Another way, since she isn't eating a huge amount is put the milk in the bottle in a pan of super hot water and keep shaking, periodically. Only takes 10 or so minutes to get to temp. (may have to change out water once or twice.) Do it before it is time to feed.

I haul baby bottles up the road a few miles,. I warm in the small bucket, then put the bucket with fresh hot water, bottles and place in a small cooler with hot water. It stays hot for the half hour or whatever until I feed the little piranha vampire bottle brats!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts