Extremely Pregnant Goat unable to stand

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Ofelia, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Ofelia

Ofelia New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Hi all,

I have an extremely pregnant Pygora goat, Tinkerbell who I got not knowing she was pregnant. I got her in the middle of Feb, so that is all I have to go on to know when she will kid.

Tinks has been miserable for about 3-4 weeks now. Staying by herself, standing for long periods of time without moving, and getting bigger and bigger. 5 days ago she decided to lay down and not get up, and now she physically cannot get off the ground on her own. If two of us lift her up, she will stand for short periods of time, then lay back down. We can kind of tempt her into walking for a short ways with grain but she is extremely stiff and it is hard for her. Her breathing has been ragged and semi-grunting for weeks now, and it got worse since she has been down.

She has no trouble eating and drinking and pooping and peeing. My vet said that it may just not be her time and that induction would be dangerous for her and her kids. Since she is shwoing no trouble eating or drinking and has frequent bowel movements, he said we just have to wait it out. For the past four days, she has continually shown signs of being close to kidding. Stretching out when she is standing, very mushy ligaments, swollen vulva, being extra friendly and loud. She also was pushing her head on trees and fences when she was still standing. SHe still doesnt have any sign of bagging up. Her vulva will get very puffy and swollen, then by the next day it will be smaller. I can tell she is just fighting against having these kids and I dont blame her. Poor girl, she is too old to have kids.

I called the woman I bought her from and she said that in the past she never had trouble kidding and always had twins.

It has been in the 80s and 90s the past few weeks, with a few cooler days here and there. We have been moving her into the grassy shade where there is a nice breeze and also have a small fan on her.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice to keep her comfortable?! I know I have to wait it out but she just seems so miserable and uncomfortable and I am worried about her strength and legs.

I have been feeding her grain with kelp, fresh alfalfa and try to get her to eat some hay. I also have been putting a few drops of Rescue Remedy in her water.

Thanks you all in advance

2. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    It sounds like ketosis, which is very serious. You'll need to give her nutri drench or molasses right away, she needs the sugars. Give calcium as well, in drench form or crush up some tums and feed to her.

B complex and electrolytes will also help her.

Is her breath very sweet smelling?

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

You can buy Ketone test strips at any drug store to check her levels and keep an eye on them.

Does she have plenty of calcium in her diet? Normally this is supplied with alfalfa in some form.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Definetley calcium. Do check her breath.

5. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I'm going to follow this closely, I will learn a thing or two I bet.

Any chance of a pic of the poor girl?

6. Ofelia

Ofelia New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I will buy those strips when i get off work and test her right away. The vet seemed to think it was not Pregnancy Toxemia, since she has been eating and pooping.

Ill take a picture of poor girl when I get home.

7. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

My old doe got tox/ketosis every year, she would eat, drink, poo, pee fine, but I could see she was off, I gave her sweet water- honey, B complex, salt and a tiny bit of Red Cell mixed in water free choice, and calcium every day, that helped her.

8. goatygirl

goatygirl sister to goatszrule

Feb 16, 2013
    New Hempshire
    Get any flavored water. Crushed calcium tablets (I don't know I'll have to see what others say about that but it might work)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, sounds like ketosis, start treatment right away.

Do you know her due date?

10. Ofelia

Ofelia New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Ok! I will go to the store and get the strips, Calcium tablets and electrolyte water. I have molasses at home.

11. Ofelia

Ofelia New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't know the due date. The day I got her was Feb 22, so that would be the latest she could have been bred.

12. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse New Member

The latest she could really go is on the 22 of this month. You COULD induce if you need to.

13. Ofelia

Ofelia New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Test came back negative!

14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    even though the strips say no...I would still go ahead and treat her...its not normal for a goat to lay around her last few weeks of pregnacy...I would also make her get up every few hours...for as long as she can stand...

best wishes

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree completely, the longer she stays down, she eventually won't be able to get up. Exercise is good and very important now, even if it is a few steps at a time throughout the day.

Treating for Ketosis is wise, she to us, is showing signs of it, it is best to keep up on it or she will get even worse.

Sounds like she can kid soon. No udder also concerns me a bit. They need the calcium to build milk too.

Inducing, sometimes we need to do this to save the Doe.

Also sometimes, kids push on the Doe's spinal cord causing slight weakness or paralysis.

16. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Glad you have a vet involved.

I agree that it won't hurt to treat for Toxemia/Ketosis at least for a few days straight and see if there is an improvement despite the test. This website outlines treatment options very well: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/ketosis.htm

How is her body condition? Is she of health weight with good muscle/fat cover around her spine?

On top of all the other suggestions, I would leave yummy leafy branches & shrubs, hay, & alfalfa pellets in front of her to encourage her to eat!

I am sending many hopeful thoughts for an easy kidding and good recovery!

17. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Just wondering how your doe is today? I hope she is feeling & eating okay and that the kidding goes well! Did you decide to go ahead and treat or wait it out?

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  20. Ofelia

Ofelia New Member

Nov 2, 2013
    The vet decided to treat for pregnancy toxima. He did an ultrasound and found at least two live kids. She did not have a fever but her heart was beating many times the normal level and her breath had begun to smell sweet. We have been giving her Propylene glycol, Magic mixture and Naxon anitbiotics. She got a B12 shot and also a shot of steriods and a Dexamethasone injection. Tonight at 8 we will give her a shot of Lutalyse and then wait.

She is still eating alfalfa and grain, along with blackberry leaves and apples. I have been giving her Rescue Remedy to help with stress. I believe she is close to 145 days so we are trying to stay positive through all this. Tinkerbell has been amazingly strong and resilient through the whole ordeal. She proves to be a fighter.

Keeping positivity and optimism through all this.

Thank you everyone for your advice and care. I will update tomorrow. Any advice on what i should have on hand for delivery or advice if there is trouble with the birth? One worry is that she is unable to stand so the kids wont be lined up right in the canal.