eye infection or cold

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 8, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hi, ok I have something going through my herd. I am thinking it is a mix of the cold and hot and the HORRIBLE dust and wind. It starts out as runny eyes, then they get white crap in the corners then they get crusty and then after about 2 days their actual eyeball is white and they cannot see! If you pull down their eye lid it is so red and irritated. During the day it is is the high 90's and then it is stooping down anywhere from 55-65 at night. we have had a bad wind and the dust is very bad, I know my poor eyes need to be cleaned out with visine at the end of the day, i can only immagine those poor goats. the ones that get real bad i give a big shot of pen g and then put neosporin in their eyes and it seems to help it. Any suggestions? I have seen pink eye befor and I dont "think" this is it

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pink eye is the only thing that comes to mind as it can be easily spread.

You could put some ointment on the eye to see if that helps

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok did some reading and it is pink eye...... :hair: :hair: :GAAH: :GAAH: I swear. lol ok well I am probably just gonna get my little next door neighbor goat helper over here and just squirt penn g in everyones eyes! That is a very successful way to get rid of pink eye and I am gonna have a long day ahead of me tomarrow!

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I tried the Pen in the eyes with no results -- she actually got worse. But I hear that LA 200 works -- I would think it would sting. But another thing I did learn afterwards that putting it into the eyes and then giving injections at the same time was more effective.

Sure does pour when it decides to rain

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I gave her 6 ccs of penng shot and then about 1 cc in each eye. Her eyes look 100 times better but she still cant see, she has the white cloudiness. i went and got la 200 at the feed store, it was $22 bucks!! :GAAH: so I am gonna go give her a big shot and some in her eyes. and yes it does pour when it rains!!

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope it works for you and the infection is under control...just remember to ALWAYS wash your hands when you are done treating them...you can get it too. I treated my moms 2 goats a few years ago that got it...dusty hay and it was super dry outside..they got the terramycin ointment 2x a day in each eye for 5 days...it wasn't cheap either $11.00 for a dinky little tube! It worked though and there wasn't a reocurrance.

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I have used the antibiotic ointment and it worked really well the only hard part was catching the goats. By the second day they were on to us and didn't feel the need to be medicated. We could have been ion funniest home videos and won now where is the cam corder when you need it!! Like everyone else said WASH your hands really good!!

8. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Dont use LA after Pen or the other way around. You cant mix the drugs in the system. They wont work.
    If I have to switch a drug, I wait one week.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can switch antibiotic whenever it is out of their system -- usualy 12-48 hours depending on the antibiotic and if it is long lasting or not.