82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, any diagnosis ideas?

18 month nubian doe
brought her home from being bred 2 weeks ago
weight loss within 3 days
scours
iron is fine (under eyelid dark pink)
looks like sometimes she is shivering, (it is really cold here, but the other goats are not doing this)
what looks like eye infection in both eyes
no runny nose to speak of, no more than the others slightly wet in nostrils.

What do you guys think? any suggestions? I'm going to the vet tomorrow to pick up something for an eye infection. Do you think she just has an infection?

Some of the things may have nothing to do with why she's sick, but wanted to include all of the facts.

·
Super Moderator
59,959 Posts
I would start with getting a temp and have a fecal done to include coccidia.

B Complex and Probios are always good to give.

Just because her eyelids are a good pink color, doesn't mean she doesn't have a parasite load. Especially since she just came back home from being away.

You can always put eye antibiotics in her eyes a couple times per day.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
usually by the time they are anemic its because the worms have taken up house keeping for a while..Also consider dietary runs..if her poop has a green tint...when she went to be bred was she fed her own grain and such or what they had? going from her own feed, to their feed then back to her feed can upset her rumen...
I would give pepto and C D Antitoxin as wel las what Karen suggested...do get her temp

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi I noticed today that she seems to stay in the "going to the bathroom" or a "standing birthing position" alot, like squating, like she has to poo or pee but nothing is coming out. I went to the vet, they gave me an antibiotic shot, eye drops, and wormer. I will post those soon, and pictures.

·
Administrator
85,728 Posts
Very sick girl. Put a heat lamp out for her or at minimum get her a sweater.
Close in a stall for her, put down a thick straw or shavings bed. Don't leave her out in the cold and keep away any drafts.

Is she eating, drinking water?

What is her temp? Hopefully you did so, before antibiotics was started? I prefer Nuflor RX over LA200
works quicker, if she has pneumonia or infection.

If it is a high fever, it is pneumonia, if it is low, her rumen is shutting down. Then probiotics and fortified vit B complex shots US should be used.
for 4 to 5 days or longer depending.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci. She looks stunted and I suspect cocci/worms, which can stunt growth, her hunching may indicate pain in the gut and being cold.
If she is sub, bring her temp up.

I am very concerned for her.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
I agreee...she needs a draft free warm stall, extra bedding, hay to eat...and electrolytes and water
LA 200 is not a great choice if she has pneumonia...Tylan 200 is a better OTC choice and stings less, I prefer Nulfor which is RX...LA200 stings real bad...so if you use it , expect a reaction....her temp should be between 101.5-103.5....she looks miserable...is she grinding her teeth, chewing a cud? eating at all?? drinking?

B complex and probios wouldnt hurt and keep her well hydrated...heres a recipe for home made..

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks!!! I just put her in stall thats in the middle of the barn no drafts at all. I gave her b complex yesterday and today and probios yesterday. temp was 104.5 before antibiotics. I don't believe it is pneumonia, she isn't coughing and I don't think her temp. is high enough for that. I will give her the electrolytes. I cleaned her eyes and administered the eye drops. I think she is hunching over like that because of her stomach, it is really rumbely. Hopefully she will get better, I will let you guys know. THANKS so much for all your help!

·
Administrator
85,728 Posts
With fever, it is pneumonia or infection, I believe it is pneumonia unfortunately, she is a very sick girl and needs extra care.
It starts out with slight fever, then increases, when no meds are started quickly, you must of caught it early, that it did not get to high.
Which is good and with the colder temps, it could of been even higher then the thermometer read, keeping her cooler.
Coughing isn't always present ect.

How much LA200 are you giving her?

I prefer Nuflor (RX) if you can get it, works better and faster. She looks really down. LA200 is slower working IMO and I do not prefer it for such a sick little girl.

Is she eating? If not, Banamine(RX) can help snap back her appetite.
Check her temp again before using Banamine, it helps to drop temp and if she went sub it isn't good to give.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
I agree with Pam..this is most likely Pneumonia 104.5 is still high...and can peek even higher...I also agree about the la200..if you can not get Nuflor from your vet which is 3 cc per 100# sub q once a day..then pick up Tylan 200 from tactor supply, 1 cc per 25# twice daily..also sub Q...It just does a better job on Pneumonia...
LA200 should be 1 cc per 20# every 12 hours as well again, sub Q....All need to be given a min. of 5 days...
Hunched over is because she feels so sick, its common for goats to be hunched when they feel that bad..grumbling tummy is a functioning rumen which is what you want to hear...
Banamine is very good to partner with antibioitcs when fever is high and appritite s low...it heps them feel better there for will eat more...Keep Warm electros out for her as well as fresh warm water so she can choose...keeping her hydrtated is important..But as Pam said..only if she still has a fever...

Keep up with the B complex daily...it really does help them..

best wishes

·
Super Moderator
59,959 Posts
You don't even need a temp for it to be pneumonia. When my girls had it, their temp never went above 103.5.

If all you got was 1 shot of LA200, you need more than that. She sure looks very sick.

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
any news?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
recovery

wanted to let everyone know that fiona is fully recovered! It was not easy, (many trips out to the barn :D) but she is back to her old self again! thanks everyone!
She is still a bit skinny, any advice for helping her put back some weight?

·
Administrator
85,728 Posts
Getting a fecal for worms and cocci, will ensure she is at a normal level or if it is elevated or not.
Feeding her all the good stuff won't do any good, if she is elevated.

Nobel goat grower and calfmanna, tractor supply, start her out gradually, just a little of each to start, then as time goes by, increase a little.,
until you get her to where you want her to be by instructions.
Good Alfalfa helps too start out gradually.

Free choice loose salt and minerals with good copper and selenium in it.

glad to heat she is doing better. :) Good work. :snowbounce:

·
Super Moderator
32,284 Posts
so glad to hear she is better..I agree with Pam..get that fecal...as well as the feeding schedual she mentioned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts