Eye looks infected after disbudding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Elsie's mom, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Elsie's mom

Elsie's mom Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    I have 2 kids that were disbudded yesterday and today one of the kids eye is dripping pus and swollen. I spoke to the breeder and she said that was normal and not to worry about it. I'm still concerened. Is there anything I can give her for pain??

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I've never had any issues with the eyes after disbudding???? Did she hit the eye on accident? Do you have a picture?

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    While I haven't had this happen - it can. Sometimes the little buds are so close to the eye causing a drippy eye. I would rinse the eye out with a saline solution. If it is really swollen then maybe someone else can suggest something to give for that, but it should go down pretty soon. A photo may help us to see how bad it is.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the head was to small for the iron then heat gets to close to the eye causing swelling -- never seen it get kitty though but I presume you are just talking about the swelling.

I wouldnt consider this normal but yes it can happen and does tend to go down in a couple days.

Next time wait a bit longer before disbudding kids heads that are tiny

5. Elsie's mom

Elsie's mom Guest

Mar 4, 2010
    Thank you for responding to my post. She is doing fine now. I'm a first time goat owner. I bought a doe aprox. 5 months ago. I'm really trying to learn as much as I can about these wonderful creatures.
    Thank you again to all whom responded to my post.

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    FYI, I just recently talked to a breeder (of pygmies) who always gives 1cc of Dexamethasone when he disbuds -- he feels it can help any trauma or swelling of the brain. Just another idea.