Eye Problem - Pics Added

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Jan 2, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So Lyla must have poked her eye or something. . . . I am searching through their barn and yard to try to find the cause and will correct that.
    It is kind of swollen but she still can see through it - it's about halfway shut, I guess you could say. No temp, eating, drinking normally, healthy and active, current on CD&T. I flushed it out with an eye solution last night. Any other suggestions? I don't like giving antibiotics unless it's necessary and she does not have a temp, sooooo, what do you think?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: Eye Problem

What you can do is put Neosporin (sp) in it twice a day. I have had to do that and it works great.
    I agree on the antibiotics I never use them unless I HAVE to. I believe in the 9 years of goats I have only used them on three occasions.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Thanks Lori. :)

Just to be sure about this. . . . Pinkeye is an infection, correct? So, there would be a high temperature? It does not look like pinkeye and I am almost 100% positive it is not (even found the thing that probably caused this) but just to be on the safe side. Never dealt with pinkeye. . . .

Oh, there is no "weeping" or runny discharge to her eyes.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

pinkeye always starts in the center of the eye....the eye runs ...the center cornea gets a ulcer like white spot on it.....they close there eye ...it is very painful and sensitive to the light....It does not take long to ruin the eye.... :( :sigh:

You can also use terramycin ointment 2x a day in the eye...
    Did you probe the eye really good ...to make sure there is nothing in it?,,,also check the 3rd eye lid...when you look in the eye, is there any ulcer like area? If there is and it is not in the center of the eye ...then it could be a scratch ....to something penetrated into it ...If there is something in it ......be very careful .......or what I would recommend is........ take the goat to the vet........ so he can remove it , he knows how to remove it ...so to not........ do any more damage........If it is not... getting better with in a few days and only worsens ...take the goat to the vet ...so he can put the drops in to see what is happening.... :(

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

she coulda poked it on hay

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Are you giving her Arnica? Also warm compress is always good.
    Make sure to flush it really good, get up inside the eyelid,
    and under the eye lid.
    Look for a runny nose in a day or two if you don't see improvements.
    I would give flocillin if it's not better.
    Can ya get a pic of it??
    we like pics!!

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Gosh, my mom told me to give her arnica when I first saw it the other day. :doh: She said it is wonderful for eye problems.

It looks good. I flushed it a couple times with a saline solution. Eating and drinking normally, acting normally (which is lazy!) She is due next month and her and Claribelle are slowing down some more (udders are filling!!!!)

No runny nose. I noticed it Thursday late afternoon. Lydia said she didn't see anything wrong with her eye when she fed that morning.

Oh, it's not the center of the eye, so it's not pinkeye? Everyone else is perfectly fine so I think she just poked it somewhere.

It does look better today and is improving a little. She still looks through it and can see. I'll try to get a pic later today. She's not going to be too happy with me. :roll:

8. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Awesome!! So it's looking better!!?? that's creat!!
    I love using Arnica!! It's great! We used it for dehorning
    our babies, and it went really nice for healing, not
    at all bad as I have seen before..
    I look forward to the picture!!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am so glad the eye is better... :)

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Okay, got a couple pics tonight. She wasn't very happy with me. It looks really bad in the pics. . . . my poor baby! :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, the weepy look around her eye was from the saline solution. Before putting that on, I don't remember there being any draining. It looks like she can see just fine with it. When I tested by putting my hand/finger right in front of her eye, she shut it and tried to get away from it.

I sure hope it isn't pinkeye! I would feel terrible if it is. How does a goat get pinkeye? She is still acting perfectly fine but I don't know how a goat behaves with pinkeye. :?

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    it looks like its clouding up..

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Is the clowding from the flash??
    It would be nice to see how it looks
    compared to the other one.
    Does it look puffy compared to the other eye???

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    What would happen if it "clouds up?" Would she lose eyesight?

How about this pic? It's kinda small.

[​IMG]

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, it doesn't look puffy compared to the other eye. . . . like the whole eye? If so, then no it's not puffy.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she looks like she is still favoring it a bit..poor baby.. :( .... If it is not healed and back to normal within a week....I recommend taking her to a vet.....

16. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    The clouding up can be an infection, especially if it's swelling, but it doesn't look swollen from the pics..Man doesn't it make you nutzz! Not knowing what is the problem!!?? Keep up with the Arnica and hope it clears up soon, did you say it looks better today??

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She would be running a high temp with an infection in her eye, right? Her temp yesterday was normal, 101.8 I think, close to 102.

Yes, it does drive me NUTS!! :hair: My poor girl! She doesn't act like it hurts, but what do I know?! I feel so bad for her. :cry:

18. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Well, I know with cats they may run a low grade fever..not a high fever. It depends on the infection and the eye is small. Are you putting eye goo in it??

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it is pinkeye yes...they can loose there site.. :(

But if there is no deep gash...or major damage from injury..........No ................ :)
    we had one that we thought would clear up using terimicin ointment...."it was not pink eye"
    anyway it was a week ...and she was only getting worse,,,her whole eye was clouded,,she could not see.....We took her to a vet and he probed it...and couldn't find any scratches or foreign objects ....but said OK ....I am going to look again...Low and behold he found a foxtail ,a small one... in the 3rd eye lid....way deep and almost didn't find it......he told us to continue with the teromicin oitment 2x a day for a week ...we asked .........will she be able to see? He said yes .........within a week ....she will be all healed ...he was right ....within a few days the cloudiness was going away... and by a week no cloud at all ..CLEAR.... :)

if you are worried about her ....I would recommend letting a vet look at her .. in case there is something wrong ...just a suggestion if you have any doubts... :hug:

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would get a vet to look at it if you can. Eye issues can go bad fast.

My mom's pug loves to get scratches on his eyes. The vet usually gives him some Atropine drops and some sort of antibiotic drops or ointment(Cipro, terramycin, ect)

I bet they do about the same for goats eyes as well. For now I would keep it clean and flush it with saline like you are doing. Some sort of antibiotic ointment would be more soothing though, if you could get some.