Eye Problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pheonix08, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    Well I got home last night to find one of our Alpines eyes covered in a blueish covering. We think she might be blind already but wondering if there is anything we can do to help her. You know how when you take a picture of a goat its eyes turn out blue in the photo that what I looks like. We'er putting pencillin in it now. Thats what our vet told us but that was over the phone w/o seeing it. I gave her two asprin tonight to help with any pain. Its definalty swollen around it.

Temp was 102.3 last night and 103.2 this afternoon but it was warmer out.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like pink eye. She may regain her sight. Now do you have any humand pink eye treatment drops? I foudn that worked quick and easy.

3. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    Really I though pink eye was when it got red and puffy? No I don't but could get some when I am in town for work tommarow.
    What do u think about the peniclin(sp) in the eye? Do you happen to know how much the drops run in cost?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i think -- but dont quote me - you have to get the human pink eye drops as a proscription. I know that we had them in the house because like 3 months prior my mom and brother both got pink eye.

Check my website http://www.endofthelinefarm.com and under goat care basics there is a tab for pink eye and then check out the pictures of Destiny when she had pink eye.

5. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    Thanks very much Stacy!
    The one pic were you says its really bad Desi has that blue covering.
    We but in pencillin today and that one one of the links says so we will stay with that for this week and give you and update.
    I was so afraid she was blind already.
    Does Desi have her sight back?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup she regained her sight with no problems --- not fully sure she lost it but there was a good chance she did.

I also hear that you should give the pencillin shots as well as it in the eyes

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I had one exactly like this a couple weeks ago. We believe she poked her eye on a stick or a horned one jabbed her in the eye. She kept it closed and it watered a little bit, but I left it alone and after a week it was back to normal and she isn't blind at all. Good luck!!!