The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an adult doe who has had an on and off again eye problem for going on 3 days. Minimal clear watery discharge. No cloudiness of the eye. Other eye is fine. No temp and is eating.

I can’t tell if she has minor swelling of the lid or is just squinty from pain. If there is swelling it is minor. I can tell it’s bothering her as her ear is “off” on that side and she don’t want me over there and she is normally a very loving goat.

I assumed at first that maybe she just scratched or got something in her eye but it’s still bothering her on day 3. Should I try treating it with something?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
It might be pinkeye.
My buck had this and I didn’t recognize it as pinkeye at first. He squinted and it looked swollen. Eye becomes bloodshot and cloudy. The tears are highly contagious, to humans as well. I would separate her from all others untilit is cleared up.
It took quite a bit longer for my buck to heal because he went without treatment for the first 5 days.
I used pinkeye ointment from the vet. People on here recommend LA 200. If no one else gets back to you,search pinkeye on TGS, there are several threads that tell you the treatment.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I like terrimycin ointment..it protects and sooths as it treats. TsC carries it. Or you can use neosporin with out the pain relife additive.
To use
La 200..draw up 1 cc or so..remove the needle..drop in eye as you hold head upward.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ah, yes, now that you mention that, I did buy that ointment the first year I had them. I think I freaked out over something, cause I can't remember anything bad or terrible going on with their eyes! I have a tote full of goat medicine, I'll verify it's still in there and good. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
I use LA200 drops, you can use biomycin 200, less burn.
I use both with success even on cattle. It always works for me.

You have to be sure to put the drops in 2 x a day for at least 5 days.
I can't believe it didn't work for you.
Because it does kill pinkeye. Has for many years.

Do know, sometimes even with treatment and depending on severity of the pinkeye when treatment is started, the animal may always have a white scar or worse and may not fully clear up.

The ointment is good too, but as mentioned, but hard to find sometimes.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Do know, sometimes even with treatment and depending on severity of the pinkeye when treatment is started, the animal may always have a white scar or worse and may not fully clear up.
My vet told me about that too. He said if a little spot stays white it doesn't impair their vision.

·
8,197 Posts
Flies will carry the bacteria from goat to goat. And, the goats always are rubbing on each other, so it can be spread pretty easily. Wash hands between handling a goat with pink eye and a non sick one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts