The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aster has had teary eyes since birth. She’s had a little discharge here and there. It always goes away on its own and is just a bit. Last week I noticed the area around her eye was bald, pink, and inflamed. Not too bad but enough to notice immediately. I ordered Vetericyn pink eye spray. The irritation went down on its own before the spray arrived. Today that eye had a lot of goop. I began treating it today. I sprayed her eye and put a few drops of LA 200 in it. I was doing her second treatment today and noticed white discharge or puss come from one spot. It’s that hole I have an arrow pointed to. Is that a tear duct that might be infected or is it a puncture wound?? Her other eye does not have that. She is not squinting or showing any signs that it hurts or bothers her.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the tear duct.
Ok. That’s a relief. Thank you. I’ve been worrying that is a puncture, and she might have something stuck in there that needs to be removed. I can’t see that tear duct on the other eye. Is that because this duct is swollen? On the other eye there is just what looks like a pink dot there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks a little better today. I’m going to keep up the treatment with LA 200 and pink eye spray to flush the eye before the antibiotic. I wish I had pen g. Someone bought every refrigerated medicine for goats at the stores near me. I wanted to buy cd antitoxin, tetanus antitoxin, and pen g. Whoever it is raided the stores last week, and I’m hoping they restock soon. I can’t find pen g online either. I’m going to get whatever I think I might need when I see it in store now just in case whoever it is buys everything up again!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There’s a little more whitish discharge today. Her eye doesn’t look red and inflamed. Overall it looks to be improving. The goop is coming from the tear duct for sure. I saw it come out of that little hole. I wish I had something I could use to put little anitibiotic into that tear duct. I’ve been thinking about listing her for sale soon, then this happens. I don’t want to sell her until she looks 100% healthy for her health and because that’s what a crappy breeder would do. I don’t want a goat leaving looking like this. Her eyes ARE one of the reasons I want to sell her, though. From birth they’ve always been tearing. She seems predisposed to getting eye issues and is so hard to catch and work with. I’m trying to make her friendlier, but I think she is going to be worse than her mom about getting on a milking stand. I don’t have time for that! 😑 No more of that, especially with a small teated doeling. She looks level and a smoother rump, but I’ve decided I need functional milkers.😉

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm. It might be getting better? I’m not convinced it’s completely clearing up. Today is day 4 of treatment. I thought it would be completely better by now. The discharge is thicker and a white opaque color coming from the tear duct. There is less of it. I know 100% that is where the goop is from. I even massaged a little out. When I was rubbing her eye area to see if I could massage goop out or loosen it up, I noticed she was wiggling her nose and chewing the air. I wonder if her tear duct is backed up somewhere going along to her nose. Do you think a shot of antibiotics could help? If I take her to the vet, I bet they will just give her a shot of excede. Do clogged tear ducts generally improve over time with antibiotics or does she need like a tube inserted to pass the clog? I certainly can’t do that myself, but if she needs that I’m assuming she won’t just stand there and let a vet insert a tube in her eyelid. It does seem superficial. Her eye does not seem impacted and isn’t swollen. Wait it out? Give what I’m doing more time? Give her a shot of LA 200? See if I can get a little antibiotic in the tear duct? If I had a teeny tiny flexible tube I know I could get a little in. Just be patient, trust her body, and take her to the vet if it gets worse?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Working animal Goat Fawn Horn Goat-antelope

Goat Working animal Ear Fawn Grass
There was less goop this morning. It always seems to be a little worse in the morning. Maybe the shelter has dust from the hay? It looked a little better tonight but was too dark to get a photo.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will say this too. I think I am making some progress getting her attitude to turn around. I thought she would become incredibly fearful with the eye treatments. When I tie her to a t post, I give her a little food and a lot of pets. After I’m done treating her eye, I reward her again and walk her around on a leash. She is starting to come up to me when call her name while I walk her and isn’t fighting me as much. I also hang out with the Nubians when I put Aster away. Today, Aster even approached me twice and touched her nose to my hand before retreating. Occasionally, I grab her when I can and just pet her all over. I’m really hoping I can build trust even if I sell her. If she gets as friendly as her sister, I might keep her and breed her next year to see how she is about milking. Her sister, Freya, has become delightfully friendly! I noticed the Nubians seem friendlier when they have collars and learn they can’t evade you. Freya is the jealous shark in the pictures I was taking to provoke Aster actually allowed me to touch her.
Vertebrate Mammal Fence Fawn Terrestrial animal

Working animal Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

1 - 16 of 16 Posts