The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a boer nanny that is close to kidding she could kid any week any day and her eyes have been glazed over and matted together and are watering like have fluid coming out of them some times and she scratches them like it itches! She stays in the barn comes out every now an then what could this be?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Might be pink eye. Does it sound/look anything like this?- http://goat-link.com/content/view/221/#.Ub_0JSrn_Y8

Could she have kicked sand into her eyes with her hoof, because she is scratching? I would wash her eye area and think about getting some eye antibiotics. LA200 can be used if she has pinkeye, injecting subcutaneously and used as an eye ointment.

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
I agree, wash out the eyes and wipe the gunk off. Wear gloves in case.

Look in the eyes for any foreign objects or scratches, check the 3rd eye lid as well. Check for any ulceration area's it
will most likely be where a foreign object or scratch will be. If it is in the center (color part) it could be pink eye very contagious.

If you have LA200, you can put a couples drops in each eye for 4 to 5 days, once or twice a day. If it is pinkeye, keep her out of the sun or patch it.

Give Benadryl as well, in case it is allergies.

·
1,524 Posts
A warm, moistened tea bag held on each eye several times a day might help. I've had great luck doing that with all my animals and myself.

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
Any feed change or increase?
Can you get a fecal on her for worms and cocci?

If it is the cloudy part, you are concerned about, it won't go away really quick. That will take some time, even after treatment. Some that are very bad, like ulcerated badly, will most likely be always clouded. It all depends on severity and how fast treatment was started before permanent damage was done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any feed change or increase?
Can you get a fecal on her for worms and cocci?

If it is the cloudy part, you are concerned about, it won't go away really quick. That will take some time, even after treatment. Some that are very bad, like ulcerated badly, will most likely be always clouded. It all depends on severity and how fast treatment was started before permanent damage was done.
This is what I'm seeing

Attachments

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
Is she getting any feed that color? If so, she is being fed too much. Stop all grain, until she is back to normal.

Give her probiotics and Fortified vit B complex shot about 6cc's
Give some pepto for now, until you can get a fecal done, which I hope is soon.
Give her electrolytes.

I would still get a fecal done.

You say, she is about to kid, her face looks so young, how old is she?

If you can have a good goat vet look her over, I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is she getting any feed that color? If so, she is being fed too much. Stop all grain, until she is back to normal.

Give her electrolytes.

She's about 2 years old small frame nanny

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Give her electrolytes.

And I offer her grain but she won't eat it she sorta eats hay

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
I recommend, what I stated above.

Have you taken her temp?

It isn't right, she has no appetite, especially for grain. Goats live to eat.
Her Rumen may be off or she has worms or cocci.
Needs to be treated right away, if that is the case, that is why, I mentioned getting a fecal done to know if she needs something.

Is she acting any different with her eyes after treatment now? Like, is she favoring them, squinting, closing them or are they staying open, less sensitive? Keep treatment up for 5 days. If though no improvement within 3 days and it is only getting worse, seek a vet right away.
Other diseases, can also cause the eyes to do that, if no improvement on sensibility, within a few days, I really recommend having a vet look at her.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recommend, what I stated above.

Have you taken her temp?

It isn't right, she has no appetite, especially for grain. Goats live to eat.
Her Rumen may be off or she has worms or cocci.
Needs to be treated right away, if that is the case, that is why, I mentioned getting a fecal done to know if she needs something.

Is she acting any different with her eyes after treatment now? Like, is she favoring them, squinting, closing them or are they staying open, less sensitive? Keep treatment up for 5 days. If though no improvement within 3 days and it is only getting worse, seek a vet right away.
Other diseases, can also cause the eyes to do that, if no improvement on sensibility, within a few days, I really recommend having a vet look at her.
Her eyes are getting better a little bit she's blinking them and acting a little normal

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to hear, the LA200 must be doing good for her.

She is two years old, do you know how much she weighs and was she bred to a boer or?

Keep us updated and hope you get a fecal.
I'm actually using penicillin in her eyes and its working good! And she's about 70 or 80 lbs and she was bred to a what I call low birth weight boer buck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts