Face color, snoods, and Turkey gender?

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by New-goat-mom, Aug 2, 2019.

1. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    So my two adorable broad breasted white turkeys, Ginger and Wasabi, are about 10 weeks old. I was really hoping I have a Male and female (I know they will probably never be able to mate...I just want one of each, hopefully) but I have no clue. One has a much redder neck and face and his or her snood is about twice the size of the other (though still tiny). Please ignore the slightly black look to their faces. The idiots who used to own my house poured used motor oil all over the ground. I thought I had it all basically gone but these monsters managed to dig some up. Here are pics of both. As you can see, Ginger is giving me a dirty look for interrupting her sleep. Lol I have never met an animal that valued bedtime more than these two silly babies.
    20190801_225437.jpg 20190801_225522.jpg

Trollmor likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice! Good luck with raising them!

New-goat-mom likes this.

3. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you. So far I am managing to keep them from gaining weight fast!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Oh! I have the same question! I have three 12 week old Blue Slate turkeys. I’m really hoping for two males and a female, one will be butchered for Thanksgiving, and I would love to have a breeding pair. They’re not posturing yet, but they make the trilling sound and two of them change the skin color on their head. It goes from normal pink to dark red to white. One has large fat pockets (maybe not a good description) on the bottom of his face, and obviously drops his snood. The other colorful one doesn’t do much besides change color. The third one is smaller and has a smaller head. I have a hard time telling them apart most of the time, but if I watch closely for a while I can recognize the two ‘maybe males’ from the ‘maybe female’.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  5. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Hopefully someone knows? Or maybe we will just have to wait! *sigh* I need to learn that patience thing! Lol

6. Chelsey

Dec 6, 2018
    Haha, I’d resigned myself to waiting, but every day I give my husband an update. He’s getting very confused. I think he’s given up with how many times those turkeys have apparently changed genders!

New-goat-mom likes this.
  7. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Lol that's funny, I do my kids the same way. My oldest son is just in love with them and he'll pick one up and ask so is this Ginger or Wasabi today?

Jellybelly likes this.
  8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Pics of whole head from up above them and their legs might be more helpful. But at this age is it a bit more hard to tell unless you are watching them move. but in your pic the top looks like a hen and the bottom a tom from the caruncle development. If they are the same age.... but that is not a for sure and certain thing. The bottom one also looks like it has a mohawk too which is a tom thing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

The “fat pockets” are most likely carulcles... and if one is developing those this early most likely a male. also. It is so much better to at least have a trio of hens for one tom. He will most likely overmate and hurt just one hen. If he is around chickens... you will have flat chicken syndrome.....

10. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I couldn't get top of head and barely got these because my phone was at 4% *grumble* but thought I would see if this helps any. The one with the more red and more carunkles has the slightly thicker legs. Every time I would take the pic he would turn to the side. Rotten baby! Lol I will get better ones tomorrow but thought I would see if you can tell anything with these? The color difference is the lighting. The sun was setting fast. Oh, and please ignore their toes (or lack thereof)...we will just say these were never intended to be someone's beloved pet.
    20190802_205449.jpg 20190802_205356.jpg

11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Meat market grumble grumble grumble... anyhoo.... the color of the legs right now does not mean anything. When the tom gets mating mature his legs will be more red. Top pic has very thick legs all the way down. Bottom legs are much more petite. I think you have a hen and tom there. If! If the thick legs coincide with the mohawk, caruncles and larger wattled bird.

Yes a bb hen can lay eggs. But you need a heritage variety of bird to breed her. They actually make a nice sized bird good for breeding or the table. They have less leg problems and will move around like a heritage bird and are great foragers. This is just our experience with crossing a bb hen with a heritage tom. A bb hen will not go broody and sit eggs though usually. She may mother poults... as in watch over them and let them follow her round. But sitting eggs nope. And if you try she will crush the eggs and tinny poults.

The photo bomber is cute too.

NigerianNewbie and New-goat-mom like this.
  12. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Oh my goodness, yes, the thicker legs were the same one as the other male traits. I really hope they are Male and female. Really all I want them for is to be adorable...I figured I would eat the female's eggs. However, if I do decide I want to breed them (and knowing me that means when) I will get a heritage Tom. I am wondering if I could get one of my chickens to hatch the eggs. My poor chickies are broody maniacs! And yes, these came from a commercial Turkey house. Thankfully before they had gotten huge. My heart hurts every time I look at their precious feet. Their beaks, too, but thankfully those aren't that bad. It is amazing at the difference just taking them out and plopping them in a yard makes. They went from seeming like a mindless, not at all bright, animal to these amazing, curious, intelligent, and oh so sweet animals. My whole family has fallen in love with these two.

I didn't even notice my sweet Eliza had to get in the pic until you said that! Lol

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    NigerianNewbie and Dwarf Dad like this.
  13. Chelsey

Dec 6, 2018
    @New-goat-mom, could I post a picture of my birds, or would you like me to get my own thread? I finally managed to get pictures of them!

New-goat-mom likes this.
  14. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

You just need make sure to have at least three more hens for a tom. Single tom and single hen is usually not good for the hen.... tom will overmate them. And if this bb one turns out a hen she will not be able get away from him quite as easily.

Yes a chicken will sit turk eggs. A bird will sit any egg if they are truly broody. They do not care what they hatch so long as the end result is the same.... bein a mama. Nefore you put chickens and turks together you need find out if blackhead is prevalent in your area. Chickens carry it and are fine but it kills turks and quickly.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  15. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Oh, I am sorry, I actually meant to tell you that you are welcome to! Sorry, I am scatter brained lately!

16. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Do you think he will try to even mate them at all since he is a BB white? I have heard the males are too heavy to try to mate? If so I will get him some more ladies. As for blackhead disease, I need to do more research because I am just not sure. I wasn't really sure I was getting these guys so it was not as well prepared for as I would have hoped. I haven't heard of anyone in my area having an issue though and have friends with both together. Thanks for the heads up.

17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    He is a boy... he might.... boys are dumb. Lol. We had a bb tom. He tried and tore up hens back because he could not get in the right position. You will have less chance of skin bein ripped because of his no toes.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  18. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    @New-goat-mom
    I think you have a male and a female, in the first post the top picture looks female and the bottom looks male. I can never tell by their feet so I wouldn't know about the other pictures.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  19. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    As much as I hate what was done to their precious feet, it may be a benefit, then. I will look into getting a few more females. Males of every species do seem to be singularly driven. Lol

Dwarf Dad and NigerianNewbie like this.
  20. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    That is awesome, thank you! So for now every sign points to me having one of each!