Face color, snoods, and Turkey gender?

Discussion in 'Chickens & Poultry' started by New-goat-mom, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    IMG_1564942398.710600.jpg IMG_1564942431.029347.jpg
    Here are two of my three. I didn’t get a good enough picture of the first ‘male’. He looks like the red head in the picture with the two.

2. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    It's interesting, I see the same differences with yours as mine! I hope we both have both! Lol they are beautiful!

3. Chelsey

Dec 6, 2018
    I would love that! I’ll have to figure out something for the breeding pair though. I can’t get more chicks from the hatchery until the beginning of next summer and no one around here has blue slate turkeys I can buy hens from, if I went with another breed I’d be paying $40 for an adult hen and I think my husband would pass out at that, we had such a hard time getting these, and paid so much for them. I am glad you have a pair too!

4. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Ugh...yeah, I will probably need to get some more hens somehow, myself. I made the mistake of showing your turkeys to my oldest son. He is now insisting I HAVE to get some of that kind! Lol

5. Chelsey

Dec 6, 2018
    I saw a picture of the breed and fell in love, I don’t even like turkeys, but they’re so beautiful, great foragers, and I love being able to raise my own food!

New-goat-mom likes this.
  6. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    All very good reasons!

7. Chelsey

Dec 6, 2018
    I am curious what you meant by this? Were the Broad Breasteds originally intended for meat? I mean, I know that why the breed was created in the first place, but these particular two? How did you know that?

8. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    She knows because of their toes. ☹ they cut them off when they are going to commercial Turkey houses.
    20190804_211128.jpg

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I was just fussin cause at meat bird farms a lot of times they cut beaks nearly off and toes are sometimes and sometimes not. I think it barbaric and horrible! They do it necause too many birds in a close space to keep down fighting. But bb birds are only grown for a short amount of time. So why do it in the first place... other than they fight for food. It jus makes me crazy mad is all really.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    In turkeys.... turkey is always the breed.... then there is what variety of the turkey breed you have. :). Jus a bit of trivia for you tonight.

11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    See how different the wattles are on these two? The rear bird is much larger and more red... tom traits. Hens in their adult feathers.... will have light edges on the breast feathers. The front bird could be a later maturing tom but maybe not. I see a slight mohawk on the fore bird. Mohawks are tom things when they are young like this. The rear bird does not seem to have one from this angle but the larger red wattle says tom to me.

For both of you wonderin the sex of your birds.... find a youtube video of a tom turk gobblin and play it over and over again at your birds. See what happens. :). Hens will give a horizontal tail fan while toms are vertical. Toms even ones this age their noggins will turn brightly colors red and blue. Hens will usually be more blue but still a bit of red just not like a toms. Toms will usually also try to gobble as well. It is too cute! And the struttin is adorable!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  12. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I am in 100 % agreement with your feelings on this. I may not be able to save the world but these two precious, intelligent little creatures will be loved and spoiled rotten for as long as they are alive.

Sfgwife likes this.
  13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    These are actually our five week old turks... the two in the first part are lil jakes. Hahahahaha! One of them was done with his showin off by the time i got the camera out. I LOVE watchin poults this age! They are just too funny.

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  14. Chelsey

Dec 6, 2018
    Oh my goodness! That’s horrible! How are they still allowed to do that here in the United States?! That’s one of the biggest reasons we’ve chosen to raise our own food.
    I played a video for the Turkeys, I’ll have to get a good video of them tomorrow and post it here, it’s too funny. They got all confused at first, but started immediately changing color, one almost strutted, but it was getting too dark so I stopped it.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  15. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Alright, so I am a terrible turkey momma. I just now saw the part about playing a video for them. And yeah, it's the middle of the night and they are asleep. But I thought what can it hurt to try. So I did. Here are pics of both.
    Ginger basically ignored it. She opened her eyes then closed them and snuggled back into Wasabi for her beauty sleep. Wasabi didn't react quite the same. He wasn't willing to get out of bed but oh my I have never seen him so red and I only played it a couple of times. So, how accurate is this? Because I am grinning from ear to ear right now! I will try in the daytime tomorrow.
    20190805_003849.jpg 20190805_003953.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  16. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

The big one in the video.... she is a hen.... strutting. Hens do srtut and get beards too. But their noggin color is very different when strutting. Dependin on how mad a tom is his head, snood and wattle can be red, blue, white. The snood will grown much longer than a hen as well.

And yep... you have do the sound many times when they are young. It takes time for them to realize what the call is esp if they are not around another tom. They are lookin and listenin for danger with the gobble.

17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Do it again when they are wake. It is pretty accurate with him changin his noggin color that fast to that red. Hens do not get super red. They get more blue.

18. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Ok. The first two birds are five or six weeks old..... see the caruncles (bumps on the neck) on the top pic then not so much on the second? Notice the noggin colors... very red and very blue. Now look at legs... how the first is nice and thick and the second quite petite? See the eenie snoods... top is longer while the second is tucked up close.

In the last pic... see how my toms head is lossa color. He was quite mad cause the dog was runnin zoomies outside the pen.

These were from this mornin.

B0F018DC-6C43-45A5-A5C0-78AA41995D9E.jpeg 1EC35237-3205-46FC-AE99-1A542A8134C2.jpeg 02696177-E09B-4719-820C-7492F0903C5C.jpeg

Dwarf Dad, NigerianNewbie and Chelsey like this.