The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to put this in the goat 911, but he was able to turn a corner. This morning Ace had a temp. of 99.4 (I had already fed him his milk:tears:...Note to self: Take temp. before giving milk to a sick baby...). When I got his temp I brought him into the house and got a hot bath going for him. I soaked him for a little while then took his temp. again, it was 102.8. I dried him off and put him under a heat lamp. I gave him some Milk of Magnesia to flush out the milk and then some electrolytes about an hour later. I also put an ounce of dark malt beer (to jump start the rumen) in his electrolytes. Is there anything else? What should I do if he doesn't perk up by tonight? He is holding steady at a normal temp. He is able to stand and will stare at nothing. He is somewhat responsive with his ears and listening to things, but just rather listless... I don't know for sure what quantities to use for the beer, as I was not able to access the computer earlier. Any help from people with experience with this would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
59,352 Posts
C&D Antitoxin would be best. What has been going on before this? What other drugs have you given him. I would definitely be giving him a B Complex shot too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
He had bloat right before, and I gave him Gas X, garlic, onion, oregano, and echinacea. I have also started giving him cocci meds (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim). He is on day three for that. I will have to get the vit. B complex tomorrow. He is almost three months old and 23#s, his 16 day old stall mate is 19#s....

·
14,615 Posts
He can also have bovine probiotic paste, a few clicks of it or some probiotic powder in his bottle along with a wee pinch of baking soda. Whats the age of your lil guy?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have given him some pro-bios as well... He is three months old. How much of the bovine pro-biotics would I give him?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Dont feed him milk until his rumin is more stable. He can survive days without milk if need be. But if his stomach is shutting down, milk can get in there, curdle and become toxic very quick. Baking soda and water is the best thing to give him if he is still ill. Hydra with pedialite and give B complex. If possible, add the B complex to a bit of milk if he seems to be doing good enough to drink a bit. Animal proteins help in the absorption of vit b in the stomach. But again, the vit B is secondary to getting the rumin going and keeping hydrated.

We dont have set mix ratio for baking soda and water but use about 1/5 a cup to a cup of warm water and administer it via a syringe (without the needled) orally. 4-8 3cc at a time. If he starts to go down hill, you may need to have someone to do a feeding tube to empty out his stomach contents and start a new.

It sounds like you may have over treated his bloat. A squirt or two of dawn dish soap into a 20 oz warm water bottle is all you need. Shake bottle a little bit to mix and then drench orally making sure not to pore it into the lungs. 1/4-1/2 a bottle, elevate the front end of the goat and start messaging/lightly pushing/tapping/shaking the belly. Listen for burps and stomach sounds. Typically that is all it takes. Can drench and repeat in serious cases.

·
Registered
31,096 Posts
I agree with Karen..CD Antitoxin is best...
I would keep him off milk for a day and let his belly heal..
Probios and ELectrolytes are great

do you know why he was shutting down?

Bottle fed? How much how often and what milk does he get?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't know why his rumen was shutting down. I just got him two weeks ago and he had been on mom. We picked up two other babies at the same time and he seemed to travel the best out of everyone. One of the other babies came down with shipping fever and pnuemonia, and I was dealing with that all of last week. He would sit by the sick girl and keep her company, so I thought he was just easygoing (he was eating and drinking normally acting like a normal goat except for the bouncy-ness peice.). He was not bottle fed until I got him, he is not a very good bottler:(, but seemed to enjoy his grass and hay. I would give him about six ounces of milk twice per day. He was getting raw goats milk from one of our fresh girls.

·
Super Moderator
59,352 Posts
Since he is 3 months old and not doing well on the bottle anyway, I would stop it. I'm wondering if he got milk in his lungs.

·
Registered
31,096 Posts
UGH shipping fever..no fun....

Check him for anemia...I brought home a little guy and did all my normal things, wormed him..watched for fever..and nothing..he wasnt playful..took his bottle but then one morning he stopped..I didnt think to check him for anemia and he was severely anemic... even though he was treated for worm load...he was not treated for anemia..
I have learned that with lethargic goats....check for anemia

Pull down his lower eye lids and see how pink or pale he is...if he is pale, begin treatment..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cathy, what treatment would you do for anemia, other then treating for worms? Thanks.

·
Registered
31,096 Posts
I use red cell 6 cc per 100#, I double day one then regular dose for a full week then once a week until I see a good color return
you can also use Iron injectable...
its recommended to use B 12 shots or if you cant get the script B complex PLUS has enough B 12 in it..
High protein feed , alfalfa and green leaves all help rebuild red blood cells...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts