The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 7 month wethers that we're banded 6-8 weeks old. One wether has (possibly) 1 small testicle that hangs down but he doesn't smell or act aggressive. Second wether doesn't have any testicles but pees on his face, smells, and always fights my buck. My doe is now in heat and both wethers mate her (really hoping that they are sterile).

Does anyone know what my options are? I need them both to be wethers. I do not need 3 bucks and 1 doe! One buck smell is bad enough!
0A7822F1-2A04-4A03-A85D-42290EB7502B.jpeg

1st photo is our intact buck.
1C283089-D849-4BBC-BC84-251129EFE4F5.jpeg

2nd photo is possibly 1 testicle but acts like a wether
5DD3CD09-5E21-4117-AFBD-18212CE4F037.jpeg

3rd photo is no testicles but acts & smells like a buck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would have to have surgery done.
Since I'm not quite sure what a normal wether looks like, does the wether with a little bit still hanging down appear normal? If he doesn't pee on his face and doesn't smell, could I safely assume that the banding worked with that one?

And can the second wether be castrated if nothing is hanging down? I'm wondering if this one will have to be a meat goat. o_O

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,453 Posts
Since I'm not quite sure what a normal wether looks like, does the wether with a little bit still hanging down appear normal? If he doesn't pee on his face and doesn't smell, could I safely assume that the banding worked with that one?

And can the second wether be castrated if nothing is hanging down? I'm wondering if this one will have to be a meat goat. o_O
Wethers shouldn't have anything hanging down.

At this point, I agree, a vet would have to surgically remove whatever is left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. I just wasn’t sure at this point what to do and it sounds like a vet is the way to go. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neither of those look banded
The first photo is my buck, which is intact. The second and third photos are the boys that were banded at 6-8 weeks. They don't look like they were banded? Even the third one that barely has anything there?

The boy that has something hanging (second photo) is the one I was wondering if I could band (again). I searched everywhere to see if that was a thing that's ever been done before but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
both "wethers" look like what is called "proud cut" in horses, only 1 nut removed...aka still able to impregnate a doe, true wethers have no lumps down there, remind me in the morning I will get a good pic of my yearling wether

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah, both of those boys look suspicious to me, even the second one. A properly banded wether should be smooth like a doe back there, no lumps or bulges. If they had their cords crushed with a burdizzo there's still a small sack, but with banding there should be nothing left. Additionally, although I've had wethers mount does, I've never seen one that peed on his face like a buck.

This is a terrible grainy picture, but you can sort of see how the boy on the right has nothing back there.

1BF30A19-720F-4225-94FB-075272285295.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts