The Goat Spot Forum banner

Fainters and milking?

2K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  janeen128 
#1 ·
I have a trade in progress for a doe or doeling. The alpine I was going to get is no longer available...but the woman said she might have a fainter doe.All I know is she tried milking her last year and the doe fainted on her :slapfloor: but she said she has been working with her getting on the stand and she was planning to milk her this year. (Last year the woman was pregnant, so a fainting doe was a bit much to deal with! lol) She said either her or possibly a nubian kid...I would rather get an adult than a kid, so hence my question.....
Does anyone milk their Fainter, and if so what do you get out of her? I am not into small goats here, but from what I can tell, Fainter sizes can vary a great deal. My buck is Fainter and weighs 150 lbs or so....but I have seen really small looking Fainters online....

#9 ·
Oh, wow...good memory janeen :) She is very slow going....and I have to keep her separate from the herd. I have her on 1/2 cup beet pulp and 1/2 cup alfalfa....and all the hay she wants, loose minerals....I am hoping over the next couple of months she will take off.
I think from now on, I buy kids at 10-12 weeks or full grown. It seems too many people don't know that cocci can be "silent". Heck, I didn't either until it happened to me :(
If my saanen doesn't improve over this next year, I will sell her as a pet most likely.

#11 ·
Yeah, I hope she does.She has a beautiful personality. She is very friendly partly because right now I have to keep her alone :( My older girls are terrible to her and she ends up kicked out of the feed and shelter. She was showing great improvement so I put her in with the other girls, then she started losing weight again, so she is "on the mend" again. :hair: The older girls really tick me off sometimes!

#16 ·
she's terrible. she's somewhat nice to her buckling, but with Missy, she gives the "I want to do damage to you" stare all the time. Missy just wants to be friends. I know....I've been told I need to add more goats to help curb the behaviour, but...no space yet. so the girls are kept separate for now....

#17 ·
Ugh...that must be annoying. Are they able to see each other? I am so frustrated with the way my girls treat this saanen doeling. Makes me mad....I'm thinking I'll have to let her grow more before I put her in with them. It's so hard because I have limited space.I feel badly she is alone too :( but like I said, when I had last springs babies with her, she didn't really bond with them either :(

#18 ·
yes, they're about 10 ft from one another, and they can see each other. last year when we had the one shelter (the other had chickens in it), i had to tie up Buttercup inside so Missy could have her own space and not be slammed into repeatedly. i'm hoping Missy will start sticking up for herself soon..... OR tell the bf to hurry up and get a bigger piece of land so i can have more goats! lol

#19 ·
Nchen~That does make it hard. I have very limited space here too but I am hoping in the spring to expand the goat paddock by taking some of the chicken run...(it's really big) But all in all I am working on an acre....so it has to stay organized. I would love to buy another acre behind us from my neighbor someday....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.