Fainters and Pregnancy

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goat fever, Jan 13, 2009.

1. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Ok I know there are few people who raise fainters here. We have had Allie for almost 3 weeks now and she is due to kid March 7th. She looks like she is getting really big just within the last week. Do they gain alot of weight the last 8 weeks of pregnancy or might I be over feeding this little girl. Her sides are starting to look huge, compared to when we first got her.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With most goaties they tend to look even more preggy in the 4th and 5th month....some even earlier regardless of breed...oops, pygmies tend to get "even lower" to the ground earlier because they are normally short in body and can only "grow" in 2 directions out and down. Fainters, from those I've seen are built more like a nigi and have a longer body, so they can hide kids pretty well til they hit that 4th month or so.

What and how much are you feeding her?

3. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    She is only getting a small hand full of grain a day. Her former owners only gave them grain a few days before they kidded. She is also getting two - three leaves of hay a day. She looks like a mini boer. She reminds me more of a pygmy than a nigerian. Here is a picture of her on Janurty 4th 2009. Just to give you an idea of how she is built. Short and Stocky is how I would describe her.

Attached Files:

4. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Here is one more photo of her.

Attached Files:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She has a very deep barrel, and isn't really as stocky as a pygmy, she is a widely built doe so I will say that she would easily hide 3 in there! I have a pygmy/nigi doe due about the same time as Allie......my doe suddenly "widened" about a week ago. As far as her food intake, I think you are doing fine, maybe increase her grain to a cup once a day the closer she gets to her due date, this will give her what she needs to make milk for her babies and to help maintain her condition when she delivers.

6. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    She is GORGEOUS!! And I agree with Liz, I think you are doing a really good job with her :thumb:

7. goat fever

goat fever New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Thanks for the reassurance. I have never had a smaller goat and her former owner was very specific about not over feeding her, which I tend to do with my bigger ones. I hope she is only carrying twins and not triplets. But we will get what God gives us.