FAINTING GOATS DUE?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KFOWLER, Oct 17, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I bought three fainting goats on May 31st. I had them separated from my buck but...my neighbors buck came through my fence and got to them around June 8th. I noticed signs around August 31st such as udders filling but have also noticed some discharge since Sept. 24th. If the neighbors buck did breed them should they already be "bagging up" and have a discharge at this time?? They should not be due until the first week in November. Any suggestions??!! :chin:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The breeding of June 8th.....of the buck from over the fence is about right for a
    due date of nov 4, 2010 ....yes.. if that buck got them then ...your does should be showing the bags and discharges...now.. :wink: :thumb:

Now should be the time for CD&T shots....

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    agree

udders start to fill around this time and you may see on and off again discharge as they get closer to kidding.

Your does would be due around the week before Halloween actually

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    yep, fainter does start bagging up between 6-8 weeks prior to delivery. :) What breed is your neighbors buck?

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Oh and all of my does usually kid between day 144-148. :)

6. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    The neighbors goat is a Nigerian Dwarf...I saw him mount one of the does and she fainted!!!! Looks like he got to them though!!! He got into my back yard where I had a tube gate hung on 4X4 posts...he broke one post completely down and cracked the other post at the base and my tubular metal gate has lots of "flat" areas on it now from him head butting it. When I got home I found him and my buck locking horns...tried to get them apart but then got kind of scared because I was home alone and didn't want neighbors buck to turn on me...he's pretty mean!! Oh well...hopefully babies will get here before the weather gets very cold.
    Thank you for your answers :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome..... :thumb:

good luck at kidding time..... happy and healthy kidding..... :greengrin:

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I hope your neighbor is going to compensate you for damages as well as help with expenses associated with the babies. Especially if you never had any intention of this type of cross breeding.

Although, I must admit I can't wait for you to share pictures of Fainter-X-NDDG kids!

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was going to say the same thing.

How old were your does when he bred them?

10. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    No he did not offer to help with anything...I was pretty mad when I called and told him to come get his buck or I was gonna shoot him!! (the neighbor, not the buck) LOL!!! I really would not have shot anything...anyway it was a lot of work digging up the cemented 4x4 posts and the expense of replacing them. Oh well...what's done is done!!! It will be interesting to see if the babies will have the myotonic gene or not :? Guess I'll find out in a week or so.

SWEETGOATS: The previous owner said the fainters were about 1 1/2 years. None have ever kidded before!!! Should be interesing...

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, at least the girls were old enough to breed so you don't have to worry about that. What a "great" neighbor.... gotta love those! :(
    As far as the babies go most probably won't faint.... but their babies when bred back to fainters will. Mini silkies were started from breeding the "Old blocky" type nigies (most actually had some fainter blood in their lines) to long coated fainters. The nigies shortened the silkies height and added the cheek muffs. :)

12. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    So my babies will be Nigerian fainters?? Or maybe Fainting Dwarfs??? :laugh:

13. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I personally like Fainting Dwarf's better lol.

Its too bad your neighbor didnt seem to care, I hope you get some good babies out of the cross.