Fainting goats not eating much

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by animalluvr, Nov 13, 2011.

1. animalluvr

animalluvr New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    We've been raising Boers for years & recently bought a trio of Myotonic/Fainting goats. I am kind of worried why my fainters aren't eating as much as the Boers.

When I feed them, the Boers eat everything I put, but the fainters don't. Maybe they don't like the brand of pellets we use? or Do they just not eat much?

I feed all of my goats Lone Star pellets & alfalfa hay. Should I be feeding the fainters something else?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like... the boers are being meanies to them...I'd separate them.. at feeding time cause ...that is when the dominate goats take over and push off the others...especially if they are new to the herd...what you feeding is right for them.... :hug:

3. animalluvr

animalluvr New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    They are separated. We have separate pastures for each herd.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They probably haven't adjusted yet....it is very stressful for them....

Maybe they don't like the grain...maybe try another grain type...... smell the feed to make sure.. there is no mold smell in it....

Can you get a temp on them...to make sure they are not sick from the move?
    That way ...we can tell ...if we need to treat them for pneumonia...

5. What were they eating where you got them from?

6. animalluvr

animalluvr New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    How do I check their temperatures? I think we're going to bring one of them to the vet soon, just to be safe.

The breeder we bought them from didn't really feed them much pellets (if any, they didn't really say what brand they fed them), mostly let them eat grass & hay. I also noticed a few of their goats coughing.

7. Unless they are pregnant, nursing kids, or growing youngsters they don't really need any grain. Just good quality hay and or brouse.

8. Take the temp rectal. A digital thermometer is easiest use a little lube or vasaline.

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    A fainter will eat MUCH less than a Boer. ;) As long as they are eating their hay....and don't look thin at all I wouldn't worry. You'll save a lot of $ in feed with fainters.

10. CluckyJay

CluckyJay New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    My mini mancha and her boer/mini mancha doeling eat VERY little in the way of grains. They have a lot of great browse and there are many days they get no additional food from me. We'll see how much more they eat in the winter though.

When I do feed them, they get like 1/4 cup of oats/BOSS/popped milo mixed together, per goat. Maa is in milk and they both keep weight on. Especially Bay, man she is fat. :|

11. If they are coughing you may be dealing with lung worms. If it were me I would worm them with Ivermectin then again in 10 days. Drench 1cc per 35lbs. You can also have a fecal done if you like by your vet. Just take some poo down. Anyway, they will eat less. A goat will eat 3% of its body weight. So a 100lbs goat will eat 3lbs. So with that said they will eat less. Also if you have breed etc they will not be needing as much as they do not have to bags a Boer does. Lastly the move is also for sure playing a role no matter how little. So all in all, I hope that helps. But all sounds pretty normal for new goats.