The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to be raising a goat for the Orange County Fair in july.

I dont have the kid yet but i will in the beginning of the next year.

I was just wondering what i should feed him, pen size, etc?

I will be getting him as a newborn. He will have a surrogate mother.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Why won't his birth dam raise him? Its always best to leave kids on their moms for at least three days so they get colostrum. Honestly, it can be hard to graph kids on to other moms or bottles. It sets them back in growth when they're stressed. I would see if it is possible to leave him on his own mom for at least two months then wean him... it is still a pretty early wean time. I prefer 3 months.

As far as pen size, big enough for him and another to run and play since he will need a buddy. He will need at least a 3 sided shelter depending in where you live. If you get snow he'll need more.

I feed honor show chow but any 16% grain with a coccidiostat will do fine. Watch his calcium to phosphorus ratio. It should be two to one to keep urinary callculi away. Also, castrating at 10 weeks can help the uretha have time to grow as well. But some band at 8 weeks.

Coccidia treatment and deworming is important for wethers to grow well and put on muscle.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have read that creep feeding until they are weaned really helps them grow!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I have read that creep feeding until they are weaned really helps them grow!
Yeah it really does! I wish I could like comments on my Mobile instead of always having to reply when I agree lol

·
14,615 Posts
Agree with Dani 100%!
He needs to stay with his momma at least the first few days & will need a buddy (a sibling is best) I don't let anybody out of here under 3 mo unless the person is taking a bottle baby & I know they know what they're doing. And that's only happened once.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes he will ether have his mother or a surrogate named Candy.

I am just wonder later in life (in june and july) what i should feed him and stuff like that.

I have done this before i just cant get a lot of weight on them

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My goats don't have a huge pen... think like four of those small dog pens together. Maybe a little more.

His feed should be a 16% grain with either deccox or rumensin... I prefer rumensin. He should have either browse or grass hay available. But since he is a show goat you don't want his belly too big so maybe only 3 times a week give hay and not too much. What I do is give two big handfuls every other day. They also get to eat whatever grows in the pen. I feed Honor Show Chow, exclamation. I also run my wethers and give them protein supplements. You will also want to allow him to have a loose mineral with ammonium chloride. The weight issue is likely parasites. I check eyelid color every 2 weeks and constantly watch poo for tapeworm eggs and such. Also, I do coccidia treatment at 8 weeks and 12 weeks and 16 weeks. That way I know it is out of them.

Creep feeding is just offering free choice feed all day or if in with big does, a box or something that only the babies can get in to eat.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
High protein feed, get a wether that comes from bloodlines that grow large fairly quick, and exercise!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts