Fair Preparations - what to do and clippers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Aug 4, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Do you get hit hard at a county fair if your goats are not trimmed? My childrent that hope to show goats are 6 and 8. I kind of look at this as the early years. Is it wrong to take an animial without being trimmed to perfection?

Also, if I did decide to get clippers, does anyone have suggestions? They seem very expensive to use so rarely.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    clipping is not manditory that i know of. and it isnt a fashion show so clip to the best of your ability. You should have seen my doeling Candence :oops: she looked terrible.

Clipping helps to show off the goat better.

Is there anyone in your fair group that would be willing to let you borrow their clipers so you can get the hang of it?

Osters are expensive but work great. Check on ebay for the Golden A5 --- there are a lot of them and if you do it right sometimes you can get them much cheeper then from the store. Stores usually have them the most expensive but through jefferslivestock.com they are even cheeper.

I refused to bid over 100.00 for them and i finaly was able to purchase one with shipping for just over 100.00 so I was happy.

I got the 10blade also for it (came with it) and that is good for legs and body if needed.

For the body I use the Stewart Oster clipper. With the 84AU and eh 83AU blades ---- also bought on Ebay for less. They usually retail over 200.00

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I took two of my goats to the fair,,,didn't shave them or anything, just gave them a bath...showed them and did great! There were a lot of people that didnt' clip/shave their goats. It's not required. Hope you have fun...I love going to the fair!!!

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    last year there were some goats that werre clipped very poorly
    the kids were young and learning disabled
    but the mother let them do their thing as a learning experience
    when they got tot he fair grounds other 4h'ers helped them out and showed them how to clip properly

i clipp my goats 2 weeks before fair - never doen it before and they looked horrible the day i did it but by fair they looked great

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    You need to check the rules for your fair. Are fairs requires clipping for market goats. Here's a link to the rules for goats at are fair. http://kerncountyfair.com/fair/2008Goats.pdf.pdf
    Your fair should have a rule book/livestock catalog or web site. If you do need to clip and aren't sure of your skill clip at least 5 days in advance any mistake will grown out and look fine. Also $20.00 dog clippers will work. Shelly

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, for learning experience I just bought dog clippers that were on sale at Jeffers Livestock. They work great!! I did break down and buy the more expensive just recently because I'm kind of getting the hang of it. The dog clippers worked fine though. . . . I think they were $18 on sale. Jeffers now has Wahl brand on sale, $119 and u get a free replacement blade & touch up trimmer, plus free shipping, pretty good deal I thought. . . .

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

what kind of goats are you showing? are your kids doing showmanship? if so i would clip them. as part of the showmanship is how neatly your animals are groomed.
    beth

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    they don't have to be groomed to perfection but it is corteious to the judges ti have your animal clean with properly trimmed feet and a least clean up the longer hairs on the body

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    The purpose of clipping is so that the judge can see your goat under all that fur and fuzz. I do clip for fall shows. Timing of the show makes a difference how clipped they'll be. For example, I may clip a month in advance or even 2 since the does will still be shorter haired than in full coat. Judges feel the goat as well and if the goat isn't clipped they can still feel what they need to feel.